Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Comercial Install Question

We have been doing residential installs for quite a few years(mostly hardscapes) This year I was contacted about a few comercial jobs one is a new meijer store and the other is a factory. My question is. How hard is the transition from residential to comercial for installs? Any help appreciated
Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

The biggest difference is payment. If you can wait thirty to sixty days you should be okay.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plan on having a lot less control on how the job progresses because of other contractors getting in the way or having to wait for someone else to do their part. At least 30 to 60 days for payment and a lot more paper work. Here commercial work is awarded on cheapest price without regard for quality. I have had other co's come from 80 miles and beat me by 20k on a 100k project. I still don't know how.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial customers are way better, they don't pay as fast, but they are usually much easier to please and don't complain near as much, plus the jobs are much bigger and there is more money involved on a bigger scale than you can usually get from residential customers.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I recieved a prequalification sheet asking what current projects we have going on and financial(equipment owned ect.) information is this normal?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea thats very normal or for atleast my area it is... i just filed out a 20 page pre qual form with probably one of the biggest design/build companies in the country, took a few days to fill out all the info. it covered everything from EMR rates to insurance info to bonding, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONETER View Post
I recieved a prequalification sheet asking what current projects we have going on and financial(equipment owned ect.) information is this normal?