Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tenacity, Lockup and Round Up Promaxx

I was at a recertification meeting today and one of the speakers is a professor and researcher at Penn State. He discussed Tenacity, Lockup and Round Up Promaxx.

Tenacity: The only new product he had the label for. Made by Syngenta and will make it's debut either this Thursday or next Thursday in Orlando. Bad News: It's only going to be labeled sod farms and golf courses only!!! The active ingredient is Mesotrione and was discovered by a researcher that saw weeds didn't grow in his yard around a Bottlebush plant. It controls 45+ different weeds including: creeping bentgrass, crab, NIMBLEWILL, ground ivy (at seeding) and nutsedge. It has pre and post emergent properties on crabgrass, but does even better when mixed with prodiamine (I guess that's what they use at Penn St). You spray this material at seeding and after 2 mowings on new turf.

More bad news: The product is an HPPD enzyme inhibitor, which makes it highly phytotoxic. When sprayed in July, it turned things white....Snow white...including the desirable grasses. The most resistant cultivar was KB where tips were white. Another downside is your going to need 2 apps for hard to control weeds. There seems to be a tracking issue as well much like RoundUp (white tracks).

Lockup is scheduled for release in June or July. It's a granular weed and feed product only available in the Noortheast. The AI is Penoxsulam with 2,4-D. The recommended rate is 200th of a pound per acre (I'm sure homeowners will love it, and over apply it). The major differences between other weed and feeds is this product can be applied to dry turf, and does a good job on ground ivy and clover (kills clover in 2 weeks). It will probably come in a bunch of different forumlations with fert.

Round Up Promaxx (not the official name yet) is coming this fall. AI is still Glyphosate, but instead of an IPA salt, it's now made of potassium salt. Much like the concentrated detergents that have hit the shelves, it will have new streamlined packaging. You'll also use 33% less than regular Round Up. I doubt it will still be cheaper than generic glyphosate, but who knows at this point.

This info came from the meeting. I was hoping for something to kill nimlewill and not have to use Round Up or BurnOut to do it, but it looks like I have to wait.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man, if only there was a selective herbicide for nimblewill! This stuff is killin me. I'm doing a whole lawn renovation this fall because of that stuff on my own lawn. It really is an aggressive pest. Shows up in widely scattered patches too, all over the lawn. Overseeding doesn't seem to work at all. I hate nimblewill.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember in '04 that they said something would be available for Nimbelwill in '08 or '09. The prof couldn't answer if it would ever be available for residentail lawns.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anything more on the Lockup?

Sounds like an applicators dream..... Granular post that actually works when dry. It'll probably be priced sky high though.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing more on it's made by Dow.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I read up on the Dow site.

I was wondering who was going to implement it....LESCO, Lebanon, etc? And what the price structure would be. Sounds like the M/O for the old Confront (which worked well even dry).
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980