Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2001, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy 350ci?

What would you all suggest when it's time for a different engine a rebuild on your engine or is a remaufactured engine the way to go? Thanks for your advice. Engine in question is a 1978 350ci. 4 bbl.

Mowman
Old 11-09-2001, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends. Can you do the rebuild work yourself?
Old 11-09-2001, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

me and my dad suggest a rebuilt engine because the cylinders are bored and they are oversized. thats a plus.

1970 Chevrolet C20

My equipment:

1984 22" Yazoo BigWheel 5hp B&S I/C
1993 38" Craftsman rider 12.5hp B&S I/C
2004 Craftsman 17" gas weed-wacker
2004 Craftsman gas blower
1982 Trim-All edger 2hp B&S
1990's Stihl 009L, 14" bar
1964 McCulloch 250, 20" bar
Old 11-09-2001, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be inclined to suggest a reman engine such as those offered by Jasper, or GM's Target Master.

Having yours rebuilt will take time, while the reman is basically a straight swap that can be done in a day easily.

If you have the space/tools/ability etc to do your own rebuild, and don't mind the down time, it can be a satisfying project. But if it's a work truck, I'd say "reman".
Old 11-09-2001, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

In my humble opinion
If you get the remanufactired engine from a reliable source it is really your best option. The professional rebuilders see the engine everyday and know what to look for and look at. Plus it will save you much downtime and trips to the parts store.
However there are many folks out there that will sell you a re-ringed engine and charge you for a remanufactured. I have installed over 40 of the Jasper engines in everything from cars and trucks to boats and have never yet had a bad one. They are one of the best if not the best out there and the price is justifiable concidering the alternative.
If you can go with the long block instead of the short block. Also take a look at your flywheel or flex plate while the engine is out and you might just as well replace the front tranny seal while it is accessable.
Remember though regardless of what you do while the engine is out there will be something else to cause you concern later.
Bill
Old 11-10-2001, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was an auto mechanic we would rebuild the engines. After removing and tear down, machine shop time and gathering and rebuilding parts the whole process would take 2 weeks. Then GM offered the (brand new) target master engines. With a nice warranty. We could replace one of those in 1.5 to 2 days. We could get the customer out quicker,save him money over the rebuild job and pocket more for ourselves. I believe this is the way to go. The only way to save on this deal is to rebuild it yourself. It will probably be torn down a month this way.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its a 23-year old truck. Get one from a boneyard (make sure you can hear it run first).
Old 11-10-2001, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Mowman,just installed a Jasper in my 1990 cevy 3500 mason dump, very nice engine, runs as if i just bought the truck. you my want to explore the cost, i replaced clucth, rad. all hoses, oil cooler,donut gaskets, an motor mounts, ran me about $3000. T.

www.jasper.com, also you can't beat the 3 year, 75,00 mile warr.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I too find myself with this problem(personal vehicle). Remanufactured engines will get you back on the road fast without having to do a lot of extra work(just swap engine) or technical know how. However I'm rebuilding my engine myself, it will take approximately two weeks. The reason I decide to go this way is that I know the history of my engine and I will be able to customize it somewhat to my preferences(ie. different cams and so on).
Cams can make a big difference in power, performance, and fuel economy. Many different cams are available for Chevy 350s, however if the engine is fuel infected it will limit what you can do without replacing the computer chip. Low end cams will give lots of power for pulling, but fuel mileage goes down. Mid range cams are the most common for common use. High end cams are for speed, but lack the power for pulling trailers. There are many cams that fit in between each of these ranges. You can even have cams ground or made to your specs($$$$).
If you are pulling a trailer loaded with equipment and lack enough power at times, find out what you have and move one step towards a lower end cams.
If you are doing it yourself, plan on replacing other components as well. You will find many other things that will need to be replaced, such as EGR valve, clutch(if manual trans), and so on.
Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:15 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Buy a complete rust bucket GM car or pick up with a running usable engine. Don't worry if is not a 350 for a 305 will do to use around town in the flat plains of OHIO.

Swap the engine and part out the rest of the vehicle to recover the purchase cost.

Total investment will be labor only. Rent a engine crane for a day to make it an easy job.