Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-11-2001, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bite the hand that feeds you

I am have a hard time trying to name this thread.

Employee pain

30 going on 13

World owe me a living

you mean I have to work for my money

Can I borrow .....

Hello it is November. I have work year round Hello

I bent over one more time, seems like I am the biggest sucker in town. Sorry I just had to vent my flustration. I try and treat employees good and get it slammed right back in by face. So repeat after me. I will not loan money to employees. I will not except excuses for missed work. I will be more hard nosed I will not loan money to employees. I will not except excuses for missed work I will be more hard nosed I will not loan money to employees. I will not except excuses for missed work. I will be more hard nosed.

There is no need to reply I just had to vent my flustration. I know we have all been there and done that for that real good guy that needed just a little help to get over on us.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to consider deducting the moneys owed you from their hours so you re-coup whats yours if they stick you the first time and you feel they are need of assistance a second.

You could implement a policy that states if an employee fails to call in sick for work more than three times in a given period that they will have $XX amount deducted (meaning their hours cut back).

Just something to consider when talking with his/her replacement next season if your done, or later this fall when the workload lessens for you.

Kris
Old 11-12-2001, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the case of extreme need (beer money doesn't count) I can understand advancing an employee money against their paycheck. But if it happens more than about twice a year, I'd say no way. People who don't show up for work and don't call in don't need a job with me.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All my peops know I have the expectation of being on time for work. We're usually ready to leave the yard at about 7:03, 3 minutes after start time. If somebody isn't there yet, we leave. Then they either have to catch us on the road and follow us to the site, or they miss work that day.

If they they do it again within a short timeframe (2 weeks), I just call later that day and tell them that they're services aren't needed.

Fortunately, only one person was late all year this year, and by only a minute. Unfortunately, that person was me. But fortunately, I have all the keys, so nobody can leave without me!

BTW, I do the same thing for job interviews. I schedule them to meet me at the yard. If they're 5 minutes late, I close the garages and leave. No sense my wasting anymore time on somebody who already doesn't respect my time.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could implement a policy that states if an employee fails to call in sick for work more than three times in a given period that they will have $XX amount deducted (meaning their hours cut back). You could implement a policy that states if an employee fails to call in sick for work more than three times in a given period that they will have $XX amount deducted (meaning their hours cut back).

No way, if they do that once they should be heavily reprimanded and the second time handed their walking papers. I don't care who they are or what they mean to the company, there are very few excuses for that type of behavior. My guys know to call in the day before if they are feeling badly and let me know they may not be in and then the morning of they call and say they are or are not coming in.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I had to terminate an employee today. I had talked to him about not calling in when he was going to be out. He had been out 5 days and not called in or called at 2:00-3:00 in the afternoon. I should have fired him the second time it happened but I really thought the problem could be fixed. The next time I have this problem I will react quicker. If they don't respect the job then they can work somewhere else!
Old 11-24-2001, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

me and my biz partner play good cop bad cop. my partner can be a pushover so often i have to lay the beatings

seriously, you get better at it with each incident. and remember that a mistake is one thing. but deliberate rule breaking-

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-25-2001, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I am lucky, my crew foreman is 57 years old and is a retired engineer. He is always EARLY and ready to go. He can and does work me in the dirt most every day out there. I rarely have troubles, almost never. I hope I never do!

Matthew
Old 11-26-2001, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We have had significantly less problems since we hired a majority of hispanic workers.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Loaning money causes amneasia"

I don't put up with that crap anymore!!!!!

Put it in the employee hand book.

"Give an Inch and they take a foot"

Loose the looser Ric.