Register free!

Old 11-16-2001, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Landscape maintenance Q

Should things like Daylilies, ornamental grasses, perennial flowering plants (ex. Blackeyed Susan, Mums) be cut back to within a couple of inches of ground like Liriope?

What's the rule of thumb in determining what should be cut way back and not...?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 11-16-2001, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes!, I just cut a few back this week! I may be even more beneficial to put a layer of mulch over the flowering perenials. Grasses, I just cut them back.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cutting grasses back now is a preference choice. Some people believe the grass has winter interest when it is dead and brown. It looks nice in the winter when it snows and the ice and what not sticks to it.

Also, some people do things like plant red stem dogwoods in front of a mass of grass because when winter comes, the dogwoods drop their leaves and the brown grass helps to bring out the red stems better.

In general, some plants prefer to be cut back now while others can be left into late winter/early spring. Again, has a lot to do with wheter like the dead material or not.

steve
Old 11-16-2001, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen a few people that have started to leave the grasses this year such as near doorways at commercials sites to have something there - sort of a texture thing I suppose.

As far as perennials such as sedum, black eyed susans and the like I prefer to cut these back to within 6" of the ground so that they will have a better jump on things next spring. I will probably hold off mostly on the grasses from now on too in the fall unless I am planning to burn the tips backs once cut prior to winters freeze.

Kris
Old 11-16-2001, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like to cut anything back in the fall. The dead plant material helps catch and hold the snow over the winter which helps protect the plants. A lot of clients rather have the beds cleaned in the fall though and I do what pays the bills. I also find it is a lot easier to clean them in spring because you can usually pull the dead material off with a grass rake without cutting or chopping. Mostly a personnel preference thing. Nature dosn't clean things up in fall.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I read a good article in one of the trade mags about caring for ornamental grasses. The gist of it was that most should be cut back in the spring, and it wasn't just because of their aesthetic value in the winter. Unfortunately I can't remember what the real reasons were. I have followed that rule with the ones on my properties and all has been fine. Some are supposed to be cut in the other seasons so its probably a good idea to check on the ones you are specifically dealing with.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On my ornamental grasses.. I leave them till spring and then I throw a match in them and let them burn. Always grow back well. Fast, easy and fun
Old 11-17-2001, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just got done trimming everything last week.

FIREFIGHTER SCOTTIE SAYS: dont play with matches

SCOTTIE SAYS: sounds fun :-)
Old 11-19-2001, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks!

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 11-25-2001, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

We alwyas trim back with the final fall cleanup to remove all debris one last time prior to winter time. Grasses get cut as well. Hedges we perfer to trim early spring in case you get some tip die back on the leaves in a harsh windy winter. I do know some people who let go unntil spring as well. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Either will work for you.