Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2001, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Type of mulch

Hello all. New to the site, but have gained a ton of info. My question is this. I have an account that wants several beds weeded and cleaned up for winter. No problem here, but they also want them mulched. I've always thought that this was more of an early season thing to do. I'm going to do it because they're paying, but I was wondering what type of milch might be best? Shredded, composted material or doesn't it really matter that much. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i seem to find that spruce mulch works the best for keeping the weeds down. it seems to hold the color longer than the pine too. if they want to pay a little more, than cedar would be a good choice as well.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mulching for years and its usually the same thing every year with different types of mulch. Lokks great for 2 months. Then the color fades a bit. Then it starts to decompose. Then by the fall, it is colorless and 3/4 gone. Same with all the other Co's jobs, too. But this year I switched to a new type of mulch. It is made up of pallets that are chipped and stained. The shape is very uniform. Small slivers fairly thin. About 1/4-1/2" wide and 1-1/2 to 2-1/2" long. Comes in 5 colors. EVERY last customer is extremely happy with it. Right now it looks like it was just done last week! I know it will not rot and add much organic material to the soil, but I think I might stick with it. And it is only $16.00 per yard. It is called Earth Tech.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally, the homeowner decides what kind they want. I would give them suggestions and what each type of mulch is good for. Many people choose cypress because it doesn't have bugs, but I would go hardwood. It keeps its color longer than ceder.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Well first off, I would suggest looking thru the phone book and finding the phone numbers of a couple of suppliers in your area.
Give them a call to see what kinds they still have available.

The supplier that we use is already closed for the season.
If the customer has no preference, we normally use double shredded.

Different suppliers will carry different grades and types of mulch. A good distributor will carry good hard wood mulch, different colors, black, blue, brown, red. The texture of the mulch is important too. It will reflect on the quality of the job. For example, if the mulch tends to be mostly chipped pallets and railroad ties with some dirt added in, this will reflect on your job. (Don't laugh, there is one supplier around here that mixes his mulch with mostly dirt.)

So for you to get started on this job, you have to check to see what is still available in your area.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jodi I have never seen a blue mulch. Is this shade closer to a royal blue or lighter like a sky blue???

The Norm seems to be to mulch as early in the spring as possible.

I however, like to mulch in early September thru mid October. The plant materials can benefit from the nutrient value during the winter months, and then it gets "re-fluffed" as spring clean-ups are performed.

I personally like the way a fall mulching looks if there is no snow on the ground (mild winters lately here). You can still see somewhat of a pattern on the turf and yet the mulching just adds that extra touch.

Kind of like a winter advertisment.
Kris
Old 11-19-2001, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DO IT NOW!!!

Consider it a blessing-

In the spring you may be so swamped with work you will wish you had it done.

Do you mow grass? If you do remeber spring is mad season and you won't have time for much else.

Ken
Old 11-19-2001, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are many different types of mulch available out there. Many kinds of mulch will do basically the same job. Mulch helps keep weeds in check, holds moisture in the bed, beautifies the bed, etc. What I normally do, is provide mulch samples to my clients, labeled in 1 gallon ziplock bags. Once they have made their choice, the samples are returned to me. My mulch suppliers give me the samples, even the plastic bags. Through experience ,I know that some varieties of mulch work better in some applications than others, and I won't allow my client to make a mistake.
Take care, Bill!
Old 11-19-2001, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
I also been mulching for years and it all looks good for about 2 or three months. Then it starts to fade. I prefer cypress to use over pine or cedar. I have been using black oak mulch alot this year. My accounts really like it. When I laid it down this fall with yellow mums it looked like a freshly weeded garden. There is a company out of St Louis MO that make a rubber mulch. There motto is never mulch again. They come in a lot of different colors, green, blue purple, black. It's expensive at $12.00 a bag.
Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2001, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many have already stated there is a bunch of different types of mulch available. I think it might depend on your customer's pocket book as to what you may be limited to. Down hear in the south most go with pinestraw. It is cheap and it does the job of insulating the plants for the winter. Come back in spring and give them another back for the summer.