Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2001, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

SCAG Hydro Problems

My 1998 Scag Turf tiger was making a noise out of the LH Hydro pump. We tore it down and did not find anything wrong. It would also quit pulling when the fluid got hot. I changed the filter and fluid and put it back together. Now I cannot get the air out of the system. Any suggestion would help. Also put new gaskets and o-rings.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have not torn down the hydro system, but I have added the cooler package and replaced the oil and filter a number of times. The only time anything strange happend was after the first oil change. When I started to move the machine, it made a strange noise. This quickly went away and everything was fine. I think that I did not let it idle long enough before trying to move it and the oil had not fully circulated leaving some air in the drive motor. I would check with your scag tech.

Rich

On edit. the machine is a 1999 turf tiger
Old 11-29-2001, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the fluid level is right then you need to get fluid into the rest of the system. We always just rocked the controls back and forth until the fluild was fully circulating. The system will be noisy until this happens. I would not worry about the noise. Also you should know that those pumps are pretty strong IMO. I have replaced many more greasshopper pumps then scags.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Took it to my Scag dealer. He tore it down 3 times and could not find out what was wrong with it. He finally had to put a new one on and now after $550.00 it is fixed.