Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2000, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

If I am not a franchised "Organic Application Company" what do you guys recomend as far as fertilizers and soil conditioners (Organic). I am currently shopping various brands and distributors. Any help would be nice.
Old 01-29-2000, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a fert. called sustain and other products by the name of Garden-ville out of SanAntonio Tx. they have a web sit email and they will help you rooting harmone maxicrope(liquid seaweed), agricultural cornmeal for fungcide, some products I make myself like garlic tea for pesticide, ants i use a mixture of molassas,orange oil(delelimonine), and compost tea, to geat these recipes and list of products and their uses go to dirtdoctor.com, and get his book Basic organic Gardening. <p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-31-2000, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH BUSINESS DO YOU GET FROM ORGANICS I THINK ITS A GREAT IDEA . BUT DO CUSTOMERS ACTUALLY CARE OR DO THEY JUST WANT A NICE YARD ?
Old 01-31-2000, 10:04 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Most busy High end resi. customers and commercial accounts could care less what material you use. They want it green and<br>they want it now.<p>Lesco 32-5-7 50% SCU is my favorite &quot;ORGANIC&quot; fert.
Old 01-31-2000, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

kountryscape, I know that my customers love the idea that I use organics residentials and business. and whe I aproach new prospective cust. their eyes light many sit around and watch the garden show on PBS and home and garden tv. and them using organics but know enough about it or where to get it and it not very available in many of the local stores so it is My belief that it not only improves the looks of my properties but it also helps me to get new customers . Another point when I was working in Dallas Tx. for my son-in-law(he does strictly high end appartment complexxes) that his cust. appreciated and liked the idea when we changed over to organics. <p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 02-01-2000, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe in Chicago the high end residentials don't care, but here in the Northeast, that's the exact customer who IS interested in &quot;ORGANICS&quot;. They are the ones with expendable income, kids, Land Rovers, pets, and are asking for this stuff. Do you think the old ladies care or want this stuff? It's the new rich yups in their cul de sacs! Try Harmonyproducts.com for some organic info. I met the natl sales rep at the New England Grows show the other day. They now have a homogenous product 7-2-5, that over 6 apps will put down over 710 lbs of organic matter per year at only $1.10 per 1000 sq ft. Need any more info, let me know.
Old 02-01-2000, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the replys guys . what i'm wondering is do you need a license to apply organics or not i would think yes but don't know. what about dandelion control what do you use ? what about corn gluten meal for pre emergenent weeds after all im from corn country iowa that is. how long does it take to get good results. does anyone use just orgnics and does anyone do a complete package aerate, fert. weed contol etc. in our city they compost the sludge and grass clipping to get some rich compost it's cheap to me do i use some of this mixed with sand after aeration or not. i think theres a good market for this if i can learn more after all people don't want their kids running threw a chem. lawn !! sorry to the guys who apply chem. but this could be something good for customers and us. what about charging for organics do you charge the same price as chem. to get them to try it or charge more??<br>thank write me back.....
Old 02-01-2000, 11:56 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Dear lbmd1,<p>In &quot;another&quot; forum you stated that one 50lb<br>bag of an &quot;organic&quot; product cost $12.30<br>and covered 5K sq ft at a rate of 1 lb of<br>N per 1k sq ft? Or $107.16/acre or $2.46/1k<br>sq ft.<p>By using a &quot;conventional&quot; product like Lesco<br>32-5-7 at $12 a 50 lb bag covers 15k sq ft<br>at 1lb of N/1k sq ft or $34.85/acre or <br>$.80/1k sq ft.<p>For a residential cost comparison let's say you can apply<br>one acre per hour including travel time<br>thus appling 10 acres per 10 hour day.<p>With the orgainic product your daily material<br>costs are $1,071.60 or 87 bags=4350 lbs of<br>material.<p>With a conventional product (32-5-7) your<br>daily material costs are $348.00 or 29 bags<br>=1450lbs.<p>So let's recap the above on a per acre cost<br>basis:<p>Organic material cost per acre is $107.16<br>Let's use $25.00 per acre/hour for equipment<br>and labor costs for a total cost of $132.16<br>The above labor cost does not take into consideration the loading, storage, and handling of 3 times as much product.<br>Now we have to make a profit to stay in business so $132.16 with a 30% gross profit margin gives you a selling price of<br>$188.80 per acre.<p>With the conventional product the material<br>cost is $34.80 per acre with equipment and<br>labor costs at $25/acre/hr your total cost<br>is $59.80 then add 30% GPM to arrive at a<br>selling price to the customer of $85.43/acre.<p>How do you justify that ANY customer will<br>pay over twice as much for organic fertilization?<p>If you take this one step further and apply this to commercial/industrial market (a ten acre site) you will NEVER get even one job<br>with the use of organic material.<p>
Old 02-01-2000, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The organic I am using is mixed for me. The GA is low but it promotes fertial soil microbial activity thus reducing the N needs. My cost is 200.00 per ton and application rate is 10 lbs per 1000. So at 4 applications per year my cost is $4.00 per thousand or $ 175.00 per acre that is my cost not what I make. Jim
Old 02-01-2000, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Larry, <br> is the other forum you are referring to the one you were booted out of for attacking people's post? For somebody with such a mathematical mind, did you fail in rocket scientist school and have to become a lawn dawg to show off to all of us ignorant math deficient monkeys? Why do you continue to rip peoples posts apart. They always say that people like you feel better about yourself by knocking others down. If you read my post above, it is a different product that I just found out about in the last few days. Has nothing to do with a previous post on another product. Although I might not have all the answers on coverage(I never claimed to be) maybe you could call one of the companies that I did refer to and quiz them to see how much you really know or don't know. I am just passing along information to others from MANUFACTURER REPS who I might put a little more faith on as oppose to a pesticide licensed person like yourself who might be a litle scared of organics and their future. But then again, that seems to be your method of doing business. Your way or no way! Don't worry about my business, with people with attitudes such as yourself, I'll never have to worry about the competition.