Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2001, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paid lunches......yes or no

Do you guys typically pay for your employees time at lunch time? Not the actual big mac, but the time.

My guys generally get paid for the whole time they are at work. I pay them 8 hours for 8 hours etc. Most of the time, I think they probably just eat on the run or at the most stop for 15 20 minutes.

On another site, I am getting the feeling that most guys stop the clock at lunch time. I realize that the 15 minutes adds up, but isn't the good will worth it?

I guess if they were taking advantage that would be one thing but they don't as far as I know. As long as the production stays where it should I am happy.

Curious about the rest of you. Are you a hardass or a softie like me.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay our employees from start to finish, we give them 15 to 20 at lunch and pay them. Its only that much more you can offer your employees which will give you that more of an edge as an employer from other companies. I feel in todays market (the younger generation DOES NOT WANT TO WORK HARD) I got my old man 63yrs old had a stroke worked 3 times harder then 3 of our part timers 1/4 of his age.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't deduct time for lunch or breaks. I don't generally stop for lunch myself so the guys take 10 minutes or so for a sandwich when they get a chance. When I hire somebody, I tell them if they want to eat they have to bring their lunch, no leaving the site to get it. We all stop for coffee about 3 times a day when the customer brings it out or someone comes back to the site with materials.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I pay my employees start to finish and don't worry about small breaks. They don't take hour long lunches, just stop, get their food and eat on the road. That was the way I was paid when I worked for someone else and I never took advantage of the situation and I appreciated the trust that my employer had for me. I think its worth it.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:33 PM
Banned

15 mins will make or break someone's attitude.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2001, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If we go inside somewhere and sit down to eat I turn the clock off. If its run thru the drive in, and eat while we drive then thats ok. Most anywhere you have hourly employees they punch a clock for lunch.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Groundsguy. I hate it when you post his picture so close to the word "jesus". Turns my stoumach. Makes me mad everytime because I always think it will be a different picture.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

SprinklerGuy:

I Massachusetts, you are required to give a 10 min break every 2 hours and drive time between jobs does not count.

I take time for a sit down lunch every day and pay for my helpers lunch when he is with me. When he is alone he chooses not to stop for lunch, but stops for snacks through out the day. He prefers to hustle to end up with a shorter work day and I pay him for .5 hour lunch. I feel now a days "if" you can find a good worker you have to offer some encouragement. I also knock off early on real hot days and pay for a full day, also kick in 1 or 2 $20.00 bills when we have had a real good week. The grap vine carrys a lot of talk,and one subject is how cheap different companys are with thier help. Of course there are guys that think they know every thing and want exc. pay for a shovel job.

Gene
Old 11-29-2001, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. Looks like I'm the only hard ass. No worky, no cashy.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No Stonehenge I'm with you. I pay for work not eating.

By the way, a few years back I worked for a family owned business. I was doing 401(k) work. I was salaried, but they treated us like hourly when it served them best, and treated us as salaried when that served them best. I called and talked with the EEOC, and he told me that being a small family owned business that they could pretty much do what they wanted. He considered them small and they had 48 employees at the time.