Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2001, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Measuring tool

Anyone know of a tool for measuring blue prints? I think I've seen something like small wheel but can't remember where.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I have one but I don't know where it came from. Mine is completely manual. I have seen some that do the calculation as you roll it. I would look at an engineering/architectural drafting supply house. There are other ways of getting the measurements also. I recently was able to look at a set of plans online, and use a take-off program that helped me calculate the sod and mulched beds. It was easy and the program was a freebie. I'll let paul explain the tools and methods he uses.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of program was it that allowed you to obtain sod and mulch amounts and where did you find it? Thanks
Old 12-22-2001, 08:48 AM
Lawnsite Addict

I have the tool your talking about, the only problem with it is if you move it slightly if throws off the measurement. Computer programs I use are Paydirt now but am looking at upgrading to Agtech, these are more for moving dirt than doing just flat take off's. They require a tablet of good size I use a 24"x36". The investment is high too (tablet costs are about $2500 to $3500) and the programs I'll not say just big $$. But there are less costly take off programs that work well for flat work.

How much you spent on the programs and equipment is related to the amout of bid work you do and the cost of your time!
Old 12-24-2001, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The software that I downloaded is from: http://www.oncenter.com/
Old 12-29-2001, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks

I'll check out the site, thanks.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scale Master Plus

I have "Scale Master Plus" Digital Plan Measure. It is from Calulated Industries Inc, Yorba Linda, CA. 800-854-8075

It's a small hand held device with a little wheel you roll on the print. Handles engineering, architect, metric and map scales plus you can do custom scales.

Custom scales are good when you have an unscaled faxed or copied plan with dimensions on it. You roll off the dimesioned measurement and then specify what that distance really is . Then all further measurements are on that custom scale.

It's fast and reliable and not too expensive.

It also has a count feature (press a button) for item counts and memory for storing counts or measurements.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

I just happened to buy one of those scalemaster tools yestrday. It does a good job but you have to be very careful or it will screw you up like Paul said.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:44 PM
Lawnsite Addict

I'm going to ask this question because not many responded to thread.
If LCO's are buying software for maintance and billing then why are we (landscape contractors) not buying software to help estmating and take offs?

I just did a check of hardware and software, hardware is getting cheaper every day (Summagrid V 36x48 for $1500.00) and the software packages are from $100 to $1000

You don't need all the power of Paydirt or Agtech for simple flat work bidding and taking off plants and beds in fact some of the programs are neat working with spread sheet inputting.

Imagine getting a plot of survey and in 5 minutes layin out the home and drive giving you your total area you have to work with and being able to import it into a cad package.

On a larger job you could do the take off in a matter of minutes with much more accuracy, how many of you have missed a bid or been off on sq footage because of time or you just missed something?

Maybe it's time to think about moving up!

Last edited by paul; 12-31-2001 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul,

very good point.

I was given a copy of autocad lt 2000 for free last year.

Before that, I was running visio's intellicad, and that I got for free from a customer also.

All I have to do, is scan site plans in, and then can get direct runoffs from that.

For one thing, I really wish this industry would stop messing around with all this PAPER CRAP....paper plans are great for showing homeowners, but that's it.

What people need to do is start using there computers more.....If all plans were on computer, the amount of work saved would be endless.

That is the real solution......Ban paper, go to computers! For the sake of it, aren't we landscapers and suppose to be 'green' loving people planting trees instead of cutting them down to make plans and make more work for us..

Really, the technology is so available, yet people are just so stuck in there ways.

steve