Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"I will Shoot you", sign

Can I leave a sign that says if you trespass past this point you will be shot. Or I will shoot your legs.

Just that there are times I leave the trailer on the side of the house with the equipment on it when I worked a long day and don't put it in the garage.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good way to deter theft, no doubt about it - would make any burglar think twice.

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure... but...

What if the guy reading the sign (would be thief) just calls your bluff and hangs around to see if you will shoot or not...? Lurking around in the dark or just casing out your stuff will probably result in the thief finding out it's a bluff sign anyway...Better to have some motion lights that come on when equipment is approached as well as locking things up securely...might even attract attention to your stuff that otherwise would not??
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It might deter them...or encourage them to bring a gun. BTW I dont think you can defend your property with deadly force except in Texas.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson LCO View Post
It might deter them...or encourage them to bring a gun. BTW I dont think you can defend your property with deadly force except in Texas.
Missouri too. . . legislation just passed last year, I think. If you feel that you or your property is seriously threatened, you can use a firearm for defense of that person or property.

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Missouri too. . . legislation just passed last year, I think. If you feel that you or your property is seriously threatened, you can use a firearm for defense of that person or property.
Your lucky. Every state should pass that law as it would surely make a lot of people think twice before trying to steal. I would buy a shotgun tommorow if they passed that law in DE.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Sweeeett glad to hear that
Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscapeman
Can I leave a sign that says if you trespass past this point you will be shot. Or I will shoot your legs.
Sure you can. It would be stupid to, in this country you are free to be as stupid as you want. Here's the reasons it would be stupid.

1. You should never threaten to do something you won't do. If you don't intend to shoot a trespasser on sight then it does not make any sense to threaten them.

2. If you do plan to shoot a trespasser on sight you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. For example, if you shoot and miss and they pull a piece and don't miss, then you are injured, disabled or dead. If you shoot them and they are unarmed, you need to understand that you will face criminal consequences. In civilized society, you can only use deadly force if you or others are directly threatened. Just entering your property doesn't make it a threat to your life. (your locked house is a different matter) If they do happen to be armed and up to no good and you waste them, then good for you, you've done the world a favor. Hopefully the proscecutor's office will see things your way, otherwise it's jail time.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
Sure you can. It would be stupid to, in this country you are free to be as stupid as you want. Here's the reasons it would be stupid.

1. You should never threaten to do something you won't do. If you don't intend to shoot a trespasser on sight then it does not make any sense to threaten them.

2. If you do plan to shoot a trespasser on sight you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. For example, if you shoot and miss and they pull a piece and don't miss, then you are injured, disabled or dead. If you shoot them and they are unarmed, you need to understand that you will face criminal consequences. In civilized society, you can only use deadly force if you or others are directly threatened. Just entering your property doesn't make it a threat to your life. (your locked house is a different matter) If they do happen to be armed and up to no good and you waste them, then good for you, you've done the world a favor. Hopefully the proscecutor's office will see things your way, otherwise it's jail time.
I'll take your suggestions one step further--don't threaten, just act. Threatening someone only gives that person a means to prepare[for your threat to be executed]. It would be much more effective/efficient to just shoot a criminal in the act of committing a crime. I don't threaten anybody, I just act. No vengeful plot I ever committed can ever be traced back to me, and those that receive such punishment have no idea that I am the revenger of vengeance--they really think we're cool with each other.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson LCO View Post
There are tons of states that allow it. If yours doesnt say you thought the guy was reaching for a gun. Its what the cops do!