Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,015
"I will Shoot you", sign

Can I leave a sign that says if you trespass past this point you will be shot. Or I will shoot your legs.

Just that there are times I leave the trailer on the side of the house with the equipment on it when I worked a long day and don't put it in the garage.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM
MJS's Avatar
MJS MJS is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,316
That's a good way to deter theft, no doubt about it - would make any burglar think twice.
__________________

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Mowbizz Mowbizz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salem NH
Posts: 970
Sure... but...

What if the guy reading the sign (would be thief) just calls your bluff and hangs around to see if you will shoot or not...? Lurking around in the dark or just casing out your stuff will probably result in the thief finding out it's a bluff sign anyway...Better to have some motion lights that come on when equipment is approached as well as locking things up securely...might even attract attention to your stuff that otherwise would not??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Johnson LCO Johnson LCO is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 336
It might deter them...or encourage them to bring a gun. BTW I dont think you can defend your property with deadly force except in Texas.
__________________
Originally posted by Bobby Gedd: "I send bills, not options"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
MJS's Avatar
MJS MJS is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson LCO View Post
It might deter them...or encourage them to bring a gun. BTW I dont think you can defend your property with deadly force except in Texas.
Missouri too. . . legislation just passed last year, I think. If you feel that you or your property is seriously threatened, you can use a firearm for defense of that person or property.
__________________

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Johnson LCO Johnson LCO is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Missouri too. . . legislation just passed last year, I think. If you feel that you or your property is seriously threatened, you can use a firearm for defense of that person or property.
Your lucky. Every state should pass that law as it would surely make a lot of people think twice before trying to steal. I would buy a shotgun tommorow if they passed that law in DE.
__________________
Originally posted by Bobby Gedd: "I send bills, not options"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
xxl xxl is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MO
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Missouri too. . . legislation just passed last year, I think. If you feel that you or your property is seriously threatened, you can use a firearm for defense of that person or property.
Sweeeett glad to hear that
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
hosejockey2002's Avatar
hosejockey2002 hosejockey2002 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscapeman
Can I leave a sign that says if you trespass past this point you will be shot. Or I will shoot your legs.
Sure you can. It would be stupid to, in this country you are free to be as stupid as you want. Here's the reasons it would be stupid.

1. You should never threaten to do something you won't do. If you don't intend to shoot a trespasser on sight then it does not make any sense to threaten them.

2. If you do plan to shoot a trespasser on sight you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. For example, if you shoot and miss and they pull a piece and don't miss, then you are injured, disabled or dead. If you shoot them and they are unarmed, you need to understand that you will face criminal consequences. In civilized society, you can only use deadly force if you or others are directly threatened. Just entering your property doesn't make it a threat to your life. (your locked house is a different matter) If they do happen to be armed and up to no good and you waste them, then good for you, you've done the world a favor. Hopefully the proscecutor's office will see things your way, otherwise it's jail time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
Sure you can. It would be stupid to, in this country you are free to be as stupid as you want. Here's the reasons it would be stupid.

1. You should never threaten to do something you won't do. If you don't intend to shoot a trespasser on sight then it does not make any sense to threaten them.

2. If you do plan to shoot a trespasser on sight you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. For example, if you shoot and miss and they pull a piece and don't miss, then you are injured, disabled or dead. If you shoot them and they are unarmed, you need to understand that you will face criminal consequences. In civilized society, you can only use deadly force if you or others are directly threatened. Just entering your property doesn't make it a threat to your life. (your locked house is a different matter) If they do happen to be armed and up to no good and you waste them, then good for you, you've done the world a favor. Hopefully the proscecutor's office will see things your way, otherwise it's jail time.
I'll take your suggestions one step further--don't threaten, just act. Threatening someone only gives that person a means to prepare[for your threat to be executed]. It would be much more effective/efficient to just shoot a criminal in the act of committing a crime. I don't threaten anybody, I just act. No vengeful plot I ever committed can ever be traced back to me, and those that receive such punishment have no idea that I am the revenger of vengeance--they really think we're cool with each other.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 AM
huskres huskres is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson LCO View Post
It might deter them...or encourage them to bring a gun. BTW I dont think you can defend your property with deadly force except in Texas.
There are tons of states that allow it. If yours doesnt say you thought the guy was reaching for a gun. Its what the cops do!
__________________
A whole bunch of metal that makes me money...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.13910 seconds with 7 queries