Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2002, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Ever use a green industry consultant

I am at a turning point in the growth of my business. In 2001 I grossed $647,000. Profit margin has gotten smaller making cash flow tight. For 2002 I would like to concentrate on planning and monitoring profit. For this I am wondering if some help from a consultant may be the way to go, saving me more than his fee.

Has any one else used a green industry consultant to help them?
Was it worth it. Would you reccamend them? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
jwmittler@att.net
Old 01-01-2002, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A cunsultant usualy will tell you what you already know. Just kicking you in the buttttttt to get you to do the changes you need to inforce.

Ask away on here and we might be able to get it done with out one.

P.S. Welcome to LawnSite looks like you are the 1st member to join as of 2002
Old 01-02-2002, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charles Vander Kooi
Jim Huston

If you've never used a consultant or taken seminars or classes in bidding, estimating or overhead recovery these are the guys to talk to.

I will tell you from what i've heard that around the 3/4 million mark, it's kind of a ******* no mans land. You not small and you're not big and it makes management difficult.

Last edited by Lanelle; 01-03-2002 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second what Harold said. That's if you can stand listening to the BS about the Colorado Hockey team ..lol
Seriously ...worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:57 PM

Have you heard of COMPASS? Sound exactly like what you need. E-mail me at LawnCareSuccess@aol.com and I can give you more information. COMPASS is the best move you will ever make.

Sean Adams
Old 01-04-2002, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I used Gary Goldmann at Van Der Kooi, and it was the best thing I could have done at the time. It helped increase profitability showing me how to bid properly. Once this is in conrol it is easier to make forecasts and then manage accordingly.
Having someone who knows whats up look over your operation is really important too. That person can spot weaknesses you wouldn't know to look for, and they can give you reassurance on your strong points. Lawnsite is a great place to get advice, but it can't compare to a consultant.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have my doubts when it comes to green industry consultants. If they are such experts, why arent they running there own multi million dollar company? I also feel the same way about stock brokers.....why arent they all millions aires?
Old 01-06-2002, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Evan528
I have my doubts when it comes to green industry consultants. If they are such experts, why arent they running there own multi million dollar company? I also feel the same way about stock brokers.....why arent they all millions aires?
Evan ,
I don't know Charles Vander Kooi's personal business but I would bet money that it is a muti million dollar company.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

He does own a multi million dollar LCO.

It has been profiled in Pro Mag.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:50 AM

Evan,

I'm not sure if you are a sports fan....But here is how I perceive and compare consultants....

Some of the best football coaches (college and pro), baseball managers (college and pro), and especially basketball coaches are excellent when it comes to teaching the skills needed to become superior professional athletes (who make millions of dollars each year), they just aren't the athletes themselves. Some were former athletes, just not very good ones. Their knowledge and ability to teach does not directly relate with their inability to perform.

Take Phil Jackson, coach of the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers. The guy was a benchwarmer for the most part when he played for the Knicks in the 70's. Now he is one of the winningest coaches in NBA history. Although I guess if I had Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen or Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, I could win some championships too (ha ha). Maybe the short, cigar-smoking, bald guy (Red Auerbach) from the Celtics is a better example.

I know what you mean about the stock broker example. Teaching and investing are two different things. You could not begin to sit and count the satisfied, grateful number of people Vanderkooi has assisted over the years. You should look into what they have to offer. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sean Adams