Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2002, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Can 2 guys gross $300,000

I had a neighbor tell me after trying to be nosey about my landscaping business tell me his brother-in-law and a partner grossed $300,000 in a year. Is this really possible, I havent seen any figures on here like that, let alone for just two guys. They must of been doing alot more then lawns here and their unless my neighbor was just telling me a folk tale.
thanks paul
Old 01-08-2002, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it is very possible if they were doing plenty of landscaping. plants, materials, rental equipment, etc., can can build to a companys gross sales rather easily. in 1997 we did almost $200k in sales with a total of 3 people, and at the time i would say 60% was in various types of lawn maintenance, 25% was landscaping,and 15% snow removal. now we have more sales, but also more employees, and a 16,000 sq. foot warehouse mortgage, making the profit less of a percentage than it used to be. so, the real question would be, how much of that gross did they actually make?
Old 01-08-2002, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not mowing they cant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 guys could easily do that on apps. And they better cause that's low for apps.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely $300K is possible with 2 guys. I'm friends with a competitor who is a 2-man show. This year they did about $250K, but last year they did $400+K. I was floored. But they are efficient, and they don't waste time of junky little projects. Their main focus is hardscapes.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I believe it is very possible doing landscape construction. You could do it in 7 months time. From your location I believe you would have a longer season.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One guy could do 500k per year if he wanted. It is what he brings home that counts. I know guys that do high gross revenue but their net is low because they have too many employees and equipment

Don't get too caught up in gross revenues. Sometimes the only thing a high gross revenue will bring is an ego stroking.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And always remember that the guy looking at the fish on your stringer will have caught much bigger. Or to play it safe, he saw someone else catch the bigger ones; that's why he doesn't have pictires of it.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, I'm with you Tony - lennonpaul asked if it was possible, and yeah, I think it is. But profit, yeah, that's a whole different animal.

And groundkprs, yeah, there's a lot of that. Unless the guy I'm talking to is a real knob. I had a guy say he was charging $5/sqft for brick paving, asked if that was too high. I said, wow, that IS really high!

I don't know if that's tellin 'em my fish was smaller than it was or what, but I got a good chuckle, and maybe it hastened his exit from the biz.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony ... you are correct and many factors will change the gross from one company to another... one may do mainly hardscapes vrs. softscapes etc.

What I meant in my reply was that, yes it was possible and also make a profit off that amount.

I agree ... don't get caught up in the gross amounts
Old 01-08-2002, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

For the year, I am a one man operation and did close to 70k in gross sales, and that is while working a full time job almost all of the year.

200k in gross for 2 people in one year really doesn't sound all that high for installation work.

Gross sales can also be very deceiving....for instance, I do a lot of subcontracting, and basically have no material costs involved in a lot of my gross sales.....so in other words, they may have done 200k but there materials could be 150k, where I may have done 70k, and my materials were only 20k.

I like to use the 'big tree' theory when comparing gross incomes. One landscaper may have installed a 2000 dollar laceleaf for 2500 and therefore has a gross of 2500 and a net of 500. Another landscaper may have installed 100 juniper that cost 10 dollars a piece and charged 2500, there for his gross is 2500 also, but his net is 1500.

Gross sales are very deceiving.

steve