Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2000, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Member

For someone just starting out I would like to know if there is a market for aerations in the Spring. Although Fall seems to be ideal for Fescue; etc. Is Spring a particular good time to market aerations for warm weather grasses and sod? If so, what has been your experience in this area?
Old 01-17-2000, 07:03 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have more customers wanting spring aeration than in the fall. Several want it both spring and fall. That is the customers that like having a nice lawn. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-17-2000, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

David,<p>Here in Atlanta you can get an enormous amount of business doing aeration on warm season turfs(bermuda, zoysia, centipede). Get in the mid to upper neighborhoods and have a ball. There are people here that just do aeration and top dressing. They work only about 20 weeks of the year!! I suggest offering it to your customers, make up aeration fliers, and signs for telephone poles. Try to schedule your aerations on Saturdays this spring, and you won't believe how many homeowners will flag you down and ask that you do their yard. It's that keeping up with the Jones' mentality that many people have here in Atlanta. I aerate warm season turfs during all of April, all of May and it tails off at the begining of June. Charge about $50 a lawn. But most importantly, make sure your customers water their lawns heavily the night before you come. Otherwise, you will pull up plugs the size of bottle caps. I hope this helps. You know how to reach me if you have any other questions. Man, I am getting eager for the spring!!
Old 01-17-2000, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Nathan - Thanks for your reply, it was good to hear from you again. Gosh, you get me so charged up I can't wait to get out there! This Spring will be my official launch so with any luck I hope I am really busy. Aeration seems to be something I see in big demand on the northwest side of Atlanta where I am. I am particularly interested in the possibility of buying a new or used aerator and would appreciate any pointers in that regard from our forum friends.
Old 01-17-2000, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

NateinAtl- Just wondering what the company in your area uses to top dress their lawns and how they spread it? I'm in Connecticut and I've been looking for an organic compost to use for top dressing, and would like to hear what others are using. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2000, 02:29 AM
jeffclc

Sure can do areations in the spring. A lot of people don't know (don't believe) that great spring lawns begin in the fall, and they want areated in the spring. Good for business.<p>Spring is a great tome to market to those that did not get areated in the fall. It is like getting a second chance to sell to them. <p>I have heard conflicting storied about this, so I would like to hear what you guys have to say regarding spring areation and pre-emergents. I have heard that you should not areate after a pre-emergent is applied as it forms a barrier, and the areation poks holes in it and makes it less effective. I heard that areation should be done beofre a pre-emergent is applied. <p>Now, the ones that said you could areate after a pre-emergent application are the big fertlizer copanies. Now, do we take their advice as experts, OR are they just saying that so that they don't have to make a return trip to appily pre-emergent after you areate???
Old 01-18-2000, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff,<br>10 years ago that was the common knowledge. No spring aeration after the pre-emergent application. More recent studies from MSU have indicated that it is okay to aerate after that application.<p>From a scheduling standpoint, late summer or early fall does make more sense if you're aerating once annually.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I just read last night in an extension bulletin that one aeration is practically useless on the grand scheme of things. You need to do two a year. I am going to enquire with one of the extension people as when to do the two aerations. It does depend on what season your grass is(ie cool or warm). Here in KY I know it is preferred to do in fall so, if you have to do two would it be best to do in early fall and then again in early spring. That way there isn't much nuisance to the mowing and homeowner.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 01-18-2000, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.<p>One aeration is practically useless. Two practically useless aerations are.....useful?<p>What a ridiculus claim WITHOUT specifying the equipment used. With a standard LawnAire IV on a dry day, you're exactly right. But take a moist day, with a power tine recipricator, cross-aerate the lawn and you will wind up with a different result. Did the extension service specify?<p>I think there are some other factors at play other than annual or semi-annual frequency.<br>