Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2002, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Pay Scale

We are standardizing payscales. Any ideas on what a starting hourly wage should be for unskilled labor? How about a starting wage for a manager who has experience? How about a new foreman?
Old 01-08-2002, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why? I have worked for several companies (and the military) where people were paid according to the position they occupied as opposed to the results they achieved. All these had one thing in common. Everybody hated it. I've never understood why some people who did average to below average work were entitled to the same money as the people who did good work, just because their title/rank was the same. IMO, this stifles initiative.

If you want an idea of the "starting pay" for unskilled entry level labor, the best way is to call the local temp service and find out what they pay. You can make adjustments to that as necessary to attract the type of people you want.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 01-09-2002, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't do pay scales but have thought about it. There must be hard ways to evaluate someone in order to make this work. In other words there must be a skill scale and a performance scale too.

Each skill or set of skills along with appropriate job performance at the exisiting level gets you to the next level.

I'm just not big enough to do this.