Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thoughts on this dump truck

http://www.chicharbine.com/detail.as...&IndID=1&Cat=7

I have never owned a MACK, not overly popular out here. It has the drop axle that I want, the demo body, heavy specs, decent power and a lot of gears.

I sent an email tonight and told him what I was willing to give for the truck assuming it is sound cosmetically and mechanically ($35K). If he says that will buy the truck, I am going to Missoula on Monday. If it checks out I will take it home.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you really want a Mack ?

Macks are expensive to repair and if you don't have a area where there is lots of Mack trucks for parts it will be $$$$$$. When it comes time to do repairs like U joints they have to be Genuine Mack if you don't have a Mack dealer in the area your in trouble. Brake parts on a Mack has to be Mack parts.

Now with the truck you posted the big problem would be the box. For the material you have in your area its the wrong style box. A 16 foot box is the right length but you want a Western Style box.

The CH-CL series Macks are usually highway tractors or heavy haul tractors. You will find that truck doesn't steer that sharp.

I would keep looking if that was a RD688 or 686 I would say ya go for it because the R Model was a better Vocational truck.

This is a 688

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...45417B38182B65
Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Do you really want a Mack ?

Macks are expensive to repair and if you don't have a area where there is lots of Mack trucks for parts it will be $$$$$$. When it comes time to do repairs like U joints they have to be Genuine Mack if you don't have a Mack dealer in the area your in trouble. Brake parts on a Mack has to be Mack parts.

Now with the truck you posted the big problem would be the box. For the material you have in your area its the wrong style box. A 16 foot box is the right length but you want a Western Style box.

The CH-CL series Macks are usually highway tractors or heavy haul tractors. You will find that truck doesn't steer that sharp.

I would keep looking if that was a RD688 or 686 I would say ya go for it

because the R Model was a better Vocational truck.

This is a 688

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...45417B38182B65
Interesting on Mack only parts, that is something to consider. There is a Mack Dealer a 150 miles away or so.

The box is perfect. We do alot of demo and the high lift end gate with elliptical bed is ideal for what we do.

So is this the vocational truck? I new the CH truck was a road truck, this I thought to be a built as a dump truck, truck.

This has to turn tighter than the IH 2500 I have now. That thing has about a 10 degree from center max turning radius.

Overall I would prefer a Pete. Reality is this truck is within budget. If it checks out (I know nothing of Mack) I was going to send it over to the MACK dealer in Missoula and have it looked at. It would be hard to not buy it for 35K assuming they will let it go at that.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh h*ll no that Mack won't turn sharper than a 2500 International you will need 40 acres to turn that Mack. You need a Ford L9000 if you want turning radius they are the sharpest turning truck when you run 315/80R22.5 rubber. Even with 42565/22.5 super single steers the Fords turn the sharpest.

Any Mack even the set back axle versions steer like CRAP when it comes to tight turning radius.

The 2674 International turns sharp it has a set back front axle. The Sterling trucks turn sharp. The T-800 Kenworth is good the Petes are okay if you get a 359 not a 379.

All in all I have gotten a L-9000 into places other trucks couldn't dream of getting into. The worst truck for turning up there with the Mack is the W-900A model Kenworth.

Western Star 4964 is a good tight turning truck no problems with them except for if you have big feet

The Kenworth T450 is a good truck it only comes with a L-10 or 3306 Cat but they turn good.

Here in B.C. we have to run 425 supersingle steers to give us enough front axle weight so that cuts back a little on turning radius.

The one L-9000 I drove that had 315/80R22.5 wheels turned so sharp it looked like the wheels turned 45 degrees

The Fords also have the snub nose which makes them good tight turners.

I drove 2674 International dump quite abit it was good just had to watch the nose of the truck.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

The bulldog on the hood means it is an "all mack" truck - all components are Mack. With a double frame and 44 rears, it will be a tough truck. I have never driven that version Mack so I can't say what the turning radius is. Although I have never owned a Mack, I know a lot of guys that do. Most of them are happy with them especially those around that year vintage.
Do you know what the rear end ratio is? Even with an 18 spd., I would stay away from anything higher than about 3.90. I live and operate in a similar environment as yours and find that my 4.33 gears are perfect, even with a 500hp engine. The lower gears make those slow manuevering activities off road all that much easier.
With 4.33 gears, 11X24.5 tires, and a non-overdrive gearbox, my top speed is 82mph. It cruises at 55mph, right at my engines max torque rpm which is best for mileage. Too many guys don't pay attention to the final drive ratio and end up regretting it. I have a friend who bought a super 10 dump at the same time I bought mine. His has a 3.54 rear end. He has the same high hp engine I have, but it still doesn't help much when manuevering in steep terrain with a full load. He is on his second clutch in 2 years. I drove his truck once and hated it - had to back up a steep hill and around a sharp bend to dump. There was no way to do it without using the clutch. In my truck I could do it without ever touching the clutch.
If the truck checks out, the price is good. If it hasn't been abused, it will most likely give you many miles of trouble free operation. The double frame with the 44 rears is a heavy duty option from Mack. The 44s are much stronger than all the other 46s.
Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I drove a few Macks for a couple different companies and they are tough, tough, tough. Not a Cadillac, but like you said, within budget.

Especially the way that one is optioned up, it sounds like a good truck for any number of activities. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spoke with the guy this morning. He will come down about a grand (grudgingly). I did not ask on the gear ratio but that is an excellent point. I asked about oil analysis and there was some fuel in the oil. They're going to pull the injectors. The bed is getting painted right now. He did not like the color scheme on the bed. The truck started life in Bend, Or. He talks highly of the truck as you would expect, he drove it back from Or. with a pup. I am very tempted to head up to MT. this weekend anyway, even though this might cost me more than I hoped it would. I was impressed that he had pulled the oil for analysis. He was quick to point out that this was 50K truck last year and he is right. I would like it better if I could get it for 35K but I trying to let go of that number as that is not going to happen.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't have any problems buying a Mack. They are very popular over here and some guys swear by them. I don't know about the repairs, but like GR said, the older R models are the most popular and that style is seen more on over the road trucks (I think I somewhat agree with GR!) I don't know if that's a big deal, but something to think about. The only knock I hear on the Macks is that some guys complain about a long turning radius. That style on a dump might be worse... I don't know. They are sharp looking trucks though, especially the Granite series. I'd like to upgrade my low boy tractor in a couple of years with a Pete or KW with a Cummins, but I would also consider a Mack. The price on that truck seems pretty fair if it checks out.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kaiser.

Here in Iowa ALL the big earthmoving/Demo/Trucking guys have macks. They are Heavy and built tough and they always seem to be in use.

I think they are good trucks. But I am just an operator, not a truck driver. But when I was loading them, the macks were always on the job.

J.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the larger excavators that I know swear by Mack, Some of the prices are reflecting the economy, people that can afford to are going to benefit from great prices on flooded markets and high fuel prices. IF you get the right deal you might be able to use it for a few years and not lose much.