Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2002, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

spring clean up?

hi
starting out this spring..live in boston..what does a basic clean up consist of?also how much should i charge for a normal spring clean up?also when do u normally begin cutting lawns on a routine basis?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There was another thread just like this a few days ago. Try the search feature. And try it in the future because it will save us all some time.

Anyway, to answer your questions;

Spring clean-ups vary from customer to customer. Some know exactly what they want done while others want to leave it up to you. But a basic spring clean-up around here entails; mowing, edging, pruning and hedge trimming, pulling weeds in flowerbeds, raking leaves, and hauling away debris.

Frequent Add-ons are mulching and pre-emergent weed control.

As for when we begin regular mowing, we do that in March. But again, that depends on your area and climate. Things start warming up around March here.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 01-18-2002 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I discuss Spring Clean-Ups with potential clients I inform them that there is more than just picking up sticks in preperation for the season.

In our particular area, I quite often will have snow mold that needs to be removed.

I let them know that the bed edges will be cut or re-established for a crisp clean edge that can later be maintained with a line trimmer.

There is also the edging of pedestrian and vehicular pavements, curbs, and tree rings.

This is also the time of year when the debris and leaves is hand picked from the crotches of plants and shrubs. I will be providing them with a TOTAL clean up.

One thing that I try to do is keep the services seperate when proposing the costs to them. I give them a price for mulch, power raking, clean-up, fert., lime individually that way they can gage what they are receiving and the costs thereof.

Kind of an apples to apples thing. This way if Mow-N-Go LCO from the down the street offers them a price they can compare what he wont do compared to what I will.