Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Traction

Was driving past a dealer today and noticed the tires on this machine. Had to stop to check it out and thought some here might like to see.
I believe there Bear Claw 25x12.5x12 or something like that. First time I'd seen them!
There was only about half inch clearance to the fuel tank and the azz end looked higher. Im sure they adjusted the deck but I would be careful with the hydros etc.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow !!
Bear claw ATV tires on a 31 Kawi Super Z..
That should have some traction !!
I would be cautious for sure.

Pj
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

PJ,

If a guy was to mount some tires like these, would it cause excess wear on the wheel motors and hydro system? Are there any other additional effects that could cause problems with the machine? I would think it would tear up the turf like crazy, unless you were real talented!!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not really sure what the effects would be, I would imagine the pumps and wheel motors may get a little more of a work out if the wheels don't slip like they did with the stock tires in certain conditions.
I will ask one of our engineers.

Pj
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They dont just sell them like this all the time. It's bought and paid for, I believe private use on a sloping block.
I was told by "my" dealer that this sort of thing could cause dramas with pumps or wheel motors, what do you think PJ?
I assume it would make the machine faster on flat ground but would it go ok up steep slopes? Maybe the ATZ pumps would be better option. But with the 31Kaw might be ok??????
Also, with the higher ground clearance at the rear, potential for flipping over backwards would be greater too. I reckon anyway!
That said, if it would work ok, and in commercial applications I would of loved the extra traction. I wonder about turf tearing though, bad enough with the AT101's.
That machine looked awesome!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes it will be harder on the machine plus no more yards those will eat some grass up they are go for some slope and around ponds but thats it..You need another set of tires and rims to replace when mowing lawns..
Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks REALLY cool though. I want to figure out how to put a lift kit on a mower just for fun take it to some ATV mudathons and show off the Hustler name
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Rather than starting another thread...
This probably a stupid question but I want to put new tires on my front casters, is it just a matter of undoing the bolt and remove the axle or is there something more to it?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Rather than starting another thread...
This probably a stupid question but I want to put new tires on my front casters, is it just a matter of undoing the bolt and remove the axle or is there something more to it?
Just pull that axle bolt out and remove the wheel slowly, the bearing and end caps may be lose enough to fall out.

Pj
Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cool, thanks for the tip!