Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

What to pay??

I have been in this business several years and have quite a few customers now. I think I may have to hire help this year, or for sure the next. I dont know how much to pay a person to work for me. Should I pay by the yard or by the hour? I was thinking by the job, that way they dont jack around. They will actually work and get more done in a day than they would otherwise. But I still have the ? of what to pay..a percentage of the job like 1/3 of what I charge? Am I supposed to pay for lunch for them? Any thoughts?
Hustler 42" ZTR
2 Honda walkbehinds
Echo handhelds
6x14 trailer

Lots of sweat!

"All you need for a beautiful lawn"
Pray for rain!!!

Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my shield, my salvation, my stronghold, in whom I take refuge."
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of doing the same this year. I think I'll pay them hourly. If there with me there won't be any jacking around. Just put on the ear plugs and go to town. If they can't keep up grab the weedeater and show them what up.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium_123 View Post
I have been in this business several years and have quite a few customers now. I think I may have to hire help this year, or for sure the next. I dont know how much to pay a person to work for me. Should I pay by the yard or by the hour? I was thinking by the job, that way they dont jack around. They will actually work and get more done in a day than they would otherwise. But I still have the ? of what to pay..a percentage of the job like 1/3 of what I charge? Am I supposed to pay for lunch for them? Any thoughts?
I don't want to get on a rant hear but... Hear we go with this subject again........... this is called piece work and is a very slippery slope in the landscape industry and illegal in some states due to the dynamics of this. industry.... example you pay them 20 dollars per lawn but one day the truck breaks and they only get 2 lawns done, the rest of their time was waiting for AAA. You can't just pay them the 40.00 for the 2 lawns because it would be a violation of the federal minimum wage standard. which in your state i believe is 7.25 per hour this year
structuring your business this way is like having a 55 gallon drum hell ready to tip over. Disgruntled employees can very easily Screw you with 1 phone call and a lie, burden of proof is on you not your guys. This is not the agriculture or textile industry that has piece standards to gage pay this is a dynamic service industry. Oh and then their is workman's comp/insurance audits where they determine your insurance premiums that is based on hours worked. not lawns mowed. But if your just looking for that extra buck in your pocket and not your laborers well then..........ingnore this........
Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
i don't want to get on a rant hear but... Hear we go with this subject again........... This is called piece work and is a very slippery slope in the landscape industry and illegal in some states due to the dynamics of this. Industry.... Example you pay them 20 dollars per lawn but one day the truck breaks and they only get 2 lawns done, the rest of their time was waiting for aaa. You can't just pay them the 40.00 for the 2 lawns because it would be a violation of the federal minimum wage standard. Which in your state i believe is 7.25 per hour this year
structuring your business this way is like having a 55 gallon drum hell ready to tip over. Disgruntled employees can very easily screw you with 1 phone call and a lie, burden of proof is on you not your guys. This is not the agriculture or textile industry that has piece standards to gage pay this is a dynamic service industry. Oh and then their is workman's comp/insurance audits where they determine your insurance premiums that is based on hours worked. Not lawns mowed. But if your just looking for that extra buck in your pocket and not your laborers well then..........ingnore this........
well said.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I don't want to get on a rant hear but... Hear we go with this subject again........... this is called piece work and is a very slippery slope in the landscape industry and illegal in some states due to the dynamics of this. industry.... example you pay them 20 dollars per lawn but one day the truck breaks and they only get 2 lawns done, the rest of their time was waiting for AAA. You can't just pay them the 40.00 for the 2 lawns because it would be a violation of the federal minimum wage standard. which in your state i believe is 7.25 per hour this year
structuring your business this way is like having a 55 gallon drum hell ready to tip over. Disgruntled employees can very easily Screw you with 1 phone call and a lie, burden of proof is on you not your guys. This is not the agriculture or textile industry that has piece standards to gage pay this is a dynamic service industry. Oh and then their is workman's comp/insurance audits where they determine your insurance premiums that is based on hours worked. not lawns mowed. But if your just looking for that extra buck in your pocket and not your laborers well then..........ingnore this........

Agreed

Yeah, once again, if any of you people find someone to work for a by the account basis, PLEASE call me if they have any family members.

Why dont you guys ask yourself if YOU would actually go to work for someone getting paid by the acct, might as well be your own boss at that point.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Beer and burgers are expensive
echo backpack blower PB 403T
echo hand held blower PB 1000
52" hydro w/18 HP i/c
30" dixon mechanical ztr
3 hp walker edger
5x8 home built trailer
4x6x2 trailer
large bucket of elbow greese

DOING WHAT IT TAKES & MORE
Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

how about a responsible fair wage that some one can really live on!!! try and think about what to pay yourself????? then go from there......

or abandon your morals at the door and F--- some one over till they hurt... then stand them up and smack them down again.....

is this the lowballer forum I made my way into????
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have one guy working for me and the way Im paying him is by the day. A flat rate. The way I figure it out is I figure out how many accts Im averaging per day and come up with a fair price. I also look at how many hours im averaging for the days and look at the amount im paying from an hourly veiw. Example if were doing 20 acct a day and its taking us around 7-10 hour I would proble be paying 100.00 a day. hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijlandscape View Post
I have one guy working for me and the way Im paying him is by the day. A flat rate. The way I figure it out is I figure out how many accts Im averaging per day and come up with a fair price. I also look at how many hours im averaging for the days and look at the amount im paying from an hourly veiw. Example if were doing 20 acct a day and its taking us around 7-10 hour I would proble be paying 100.00 a day. hope this helps.
how do you figure your workman comp do you still keep track of hours?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

There is a way to get around all the legal stuff and still be legal. I can't afford to pay workman's comp and all that so what i do is not actually "hire" a worker, but get their ss# and list them as contracted labor. At the end of the year list it on your taxes as contracted labor with their info, and how much you paid them. The gov. will then send them a form and they will have to pay a small tax. Here it's only like 1%, but tell them up front what is going on so they won't think the irs is after them, and be sure to tell them it is their responsibility to turn the info into the gov when the form comes. This way ur legal, they are too, and if they don't comply it is not your fault.