Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

What the lighting world needs now........

is love sweet love. That too but I had something else in mind. Like how about a totally innovative inexpensive and reliable wireless remote control system designed especially for low voltage landscape lighting systems. That is simple and easy to use for the homeowner but has some really nice features and doesn't require an EC to install. Doesn't require filters or repeaters/boosters/phase couplers etc. Works through walls and doesn't require a direct sight line from controller to receiver. Pluggable and hard wireable devices

Durable and weather resistant
Remote Dimmability with adjustable ramp rates
hand held remote options
LCD touchpad with customizable icons
wall mountable or desktop
scene capable
status reporting
astro timing
Remote programability
Intuiitive

None of the controls available now have all these features

All these features and reasonably priced too.
I'm not asking for too much am I?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its funny you mention that. There is a desperate need for such a product.

I like the simplicity of an x10 system... no computer programming but it just leaves alot to be desired when it comes to dimmability and signal strenght often needing a phase coupler or repeater.

Most of you know I do alot of UPB stuff but some new issues have concearned me. I have ironed out some of the bugs I had as well. When installing any powerline devices a phase coupler is now mandatory for me. A simple coupler install will save you money in service calls.

A panel gaurd is also now installed on each project. Just 2 weeks ago I had a service call that 2 of the 4 transformers on a project were not coming on. I arrived to find the upb switches not responding. Client also stated they lost a cable box due to a power surge. I replaced both switches and installed a panel gaurd. All is well but it took 2 hours under warranty. (switches were replaced free by manu.

2 years ago I saw a zwave controller that looked great. Nice attractive wall mountable screen with remotes etc. But it lost me at the zwave which is a RF signal I think and it will not go thru metal transformer cabinets. I wanna say it was an intermatic system. Very handsome looking but fell short of features.

I would ultimatly like to see a system that could offer the plug and play simplicity of good ol x10 but at the same time be capable of advanced programming of UPB. Nothing like setting the porch lights to come on at the appropriate level so your lighting scene is not trashed when they flip them on.

Last edited by Pro-Scapes; 02-08-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

While IF someone could accomplish these things it could be a very sucessful and would be very desireable for the masses, BUT if it doesn't require EC install it would be very limited in its ability to control much other than transformers and maybe the secondary side of things. While I agree this is where the money is to be made and there is tons of work being done and has been done to accomplish this task.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will also add that this product field is full of patents that greatly reduce futher innovation.

Also please add a LAN interface for ipod support, this $220 interface can sell thousands of $$ of control for you.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think ABT was on the right track with their wireless technology, however they were extremely limited in their offerings. Some forward thinking engineer could probably take their product to the next level to what you are talking about Mike. Just like LEDs, I don't think it is a matter of IF but rather WHEN we will see something like this on the market.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me that Unique was working a control system using UPB like components. Check with Joey.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have developed a subpanel type device that has UPB capabilities. This device however would only be used on larger scale projects with Multiple transformers. I should have some more info around here I will try and dig up to share.

Good to see you posting here again Mike!!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
We have developed a subpanel type device that has UPB capabilities. This device however would only be used on larger scale projects with Multiple transformers. I should have some more info around here I will try and dig up to share.

Good to see you posting here again Mike!!
Thanks Joey!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any recent projects with an ABT wireless device installed? How has it held up and is the performance reliable enough for you to use it again? Are there any other wireless products with more capabilities?
"LIGHTING for LIFE OUTDOORS"
Member A.O.L.P.
FL. EY12000225
Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worx View Post
Does anyone have any recent projects with an ABT wireless device installed? How has it held up and is the performance reliable enough for you to use it again? Are there any other wireless products with more capabilities?
I have a few out there. I had one receiver go bad on one of my transformers and it wouldn't accept new programming but warrantied it out no problem. I am actually installing another ABT unit tomorrow on a Unique 840 I-Force with the wireless wall switch inside the house.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com