Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hypro D30 vs. D403

I've been reading up for 2+ hours on all I could find about pumps...

I have a Lesco Space Saver. It has the Hypro D403 on it. I loathe it. It requires such frequent maintenance, it's a nightmare.

I am considering swapping it out for a Hypro D30. Folks seem to go longer between rebuilds with them, and they apparently last for years and years.

Will the D30 fit directly onto my existing gear box and motor? Is this investment REALLY going to save me some headache?

ANY FEEDBACK OR OPINIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I've been reading up for 2+ hours on all I could find about pumps...

I have a Lesco Space Saver. It has the Hypro D403 on it. I loathe it. It requires such frequent maintenance, it's a nightmare.

I am considering swapping it out for a Hypro D30. Folks seem to go longer between rebuilds with them, and they apparently last for years and years.

Will the D30 fit directly onto my existing gear box and motor? Is this investment REALLY going to save me some headache?

ANY FEEDBACK OR OPINIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Hi Whoop,

Go to this link and then contact them by phone and ask. When looking at the 403 is appears they use the same gearbox, BUT call to make sure

I have 2 D-30s and LOVE THEM!

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?pg=95

Pete
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whoop,
I just replaced my D-30 and regulator this winter after running the old one since 1996. The only reason I replaced it was because some of the coating on the inside was starting to flake off. The only trouble I ever had out of it was rubber diaphrams going bad........just normal.

I spent a lot of time searching for the best price and came across the one in the link from Pete. I was skeptical of it because of the (AR) and about $100 cheaper than anyone else. The output specs are a little different than the other websites I found, even Hypros website. Rittenhouse told me it WAS a Hypro. I talked to the Hypro guys at the Farm Machinery Show in Louisville last month and they said they never heard of a D-30 with (AR) attached to it, he had been with the company over 10 years. He looked very puzzled about what I was asking and stopped short of calling it a knock-off.

I spent the extra $100 and got mine through Dultmeier, did not want to take the chance.

As far as mounting, I would call Hypro. Weather it mounts the same or the gearing is the same I don't know. When I called them as I was first searching, it was very easy to reach and talk to their tech guys. (No one in India answered the phone.)

Just my experience this winter.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whoop, I didn't see this thread before I posted in the other one. Let me/us know what you find out about replacing the 403 with the D30 on the Kaw. I'm very interested in the outcome. Thanks
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whooped

The D 30 pump and gear box use the same crank shaft.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Whooped

The D 30 pump and gear box use the same crank shaft.
Excellent! I'm soooooo glad they have internet access at the nursing home!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Excellent! I'm soooooo glad they have internet access at the nursing home!!!
Yes Whooped

The nurses even tape a pencil to my hand so I can type with my arm.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The nurses even tape a pencil to my hand so I can type with my arm.
i pictured it with a warden or keeper and tentacles or a claw. but thanks for the hook up info, one used 403 for sale cheap, needs.... well they all need to be taken to field and shot...........
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think Pete is right. He sounds like the voice of experience. The way Lesco routed the pressure dump bypass flow, back to just in front of the filter--is a bad idea--and another reason--when you are not spraying, the fluid going around and around endlessly heats up. It may exceed the safe working temperature of the diaphragms. Make sure you are using the genuine "Desmopan" diaphragms, not the ordinary cheap black rubber diaphragms. Esters and warm water temps are harder on the diaphragms.

What speed is the motor running? Is the Kawi at max? If you don't need high pressure half throttle may be enough--and easier on the pump.

My setup sends the bypass flow back into the agitation line using a Tee fitting. Works fine. There is not much restriction in this return line, in my setup (I use four spraying systems agitation booster nozzles. (I use Hypro D252 pump --6 gal per min).

Brass and galvanized iron have not caused any problems in my setup.

I use a 325 mesh filter screen in front of the pump. Have a hundred mesh pre-filter inside the tank.

I use a spraying systems pressure relief valve with stainless steel seats--it 's better.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So if I reroute the bypass into the tank, could I just tie mine into the existing agitation line, too? Or would I need to increase the diameter of the agitation plumbing to prevent the same problem occurring on the way back down into the tank?
Attached Images