Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2002, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Vinegar for Roundup

A few weeks back someone suggested using white vinegar instead of roundup. Sounds like a great idea to me. The vinegar was a 10% white vinegar if I remember correctly.

My question is where did you find 10% acidity vinegar. All the markets in my area only have 5% acidity.

Please help, as I would love to be able to use this application for my church clients.

thanks
Old 03-23-2002, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even 5% will burn the foliage right up. The problem is, is without more dosages, the foliage will grow back a little faster. Also, only use this like for cement areas. This can not be used in place of Roundup for soil sterilizzation like for reseeding. There will be WAY too much acidity in the soil for quite some time.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can it be used in natural areas like beds that some grass has crept into ? And plants,flowers wont be planted in that area either
Old 03-23-2002, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I use the 5% vinegar all the time, you do have to re-apply more often but it's cheap to use and I do use in beds.... Just be careful not to get on other plants.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

does it make a complete kill ,or just kill it back to the ground
like spectricide use to do.thanks
Old 03-26-2002, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Runner where can we find this stuff? I went to a large nursery outlet ( Myers Seed International ) today and they said that they never heard of the stuff.

Jerry
Old 03-27-2002, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At a finished price of about $4.00 per gallon, I'd hardly call Vinegar cheap. But thats retail for Vinegar in CT. Maybe it's cheaper elsewhere.
A finished gallon of RoundUp shouldn't cost anyone $1.00 unless your buying retail.
Either way, as rediculous as it sounds, Vinegar applied commercially to kill weeds is against the law & you could be fined for using it.
Silly, I know, but only EPA registered pesticides that have been reviewed & approved in your state, may be applied for hire. That said, I've seen a few retail garden center type products around here lately that are registered as contact herbicides & claim to be enviromentally friendy. They all stink of vinegar even though each claims to be better than the other. Some contain vegetable oil surfactants to speed the kill. Just what I allways wanted. Salad dressing that wilts the lettuce faster.
You just gotta love America.

Steve
Old 03-27-2002, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

only EPA registered pesticides that have been reviewed & approved in your state, may be applied for hire.

It is your license on the line. Any chemical you apply must have an EPA registration #. You must have a label and a MSDS for that product.

Monsanto's patent has run out. Therefore many small chemical mfg are now making knock off Roundup cheap. Same formula, same product.

Steve is roundup not the biggest selling chemical in horticulture; in terms of packages sold???

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,
RoundUp is the single most financially succesful pesticide in the entire history of the business. The bottle, ink, cardboard, tape, & freight way exceed the actual cost to manufacture the molecule. That said, the R&D, marketing, & insurance are what you pay for on any pesticide. The tech is rarely the biggest expense. I almost feel bad when the patents run out. I feel really bad when I think it could have been me that invented it. Keep the kids in school guys & gals!

Steve
Old 03-27-2002, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using Spectracide weed and grass killer instead of Rounup. It costs about the same, I use 3 oz per gallon and it seems to work a heck of alot quicker. I'll tell you getting certified to spray Herbicides has been one of the best things I have done. I was paying $300.00 a month to have a pest control company come in and spray my beds for me on my commercial properties They work on commission so they wanted to get in and out as soon as possible, which I understand. Now it costs me about $30-$50 per month and I know it's done on my schedule and to my complete satisfaction. Forget the vinegar, if you have your time in, get certified, then you can use the good stuff.LOL