Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2002, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

white 'stuff' on Hollies

I dont do herbicide application.... not because I can't pass the test but because I'm terrible at diagnosing a plant problem...like this one. Two 8 ft hollies appear to have like white spray paint on a number of their leaves...its hard to rub off...any idea what this could be?? treatment?...thanks
Old 03-24-2002, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like powdery mildew. If it is, it is not harmful. I'm not sure there is treatment. Maybe a fungicide. Just looks bad. Are the plants under stress? What are the locations and enviroments?

Mark
Old 03-24-2002, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

kitzy

Sounds like Scale to me. If it is small white specks on leaves or black brown bumps on the stem that are hard to scrape off. Squeeze the specks with your finger nails, If a yellow juice squeezes out it is Scale most likely.

It either case scale or powdery mildew, Ultrafine Oil will cure it. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Insecticidal soap and horticulture oil will cure about 90% of the problems on ornamentals. They act as insecticide, fungusicide, miteicide, bacteriaicide, all rolled into one. In the heat of summer they can be sprayed on at dusk and washed off in the morning. These products are pretty friendly to our environment. Unless you get sprayed in the eyes or soaked with 100% pure, they have little danger to human or animal.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep...agree with Rick. Sounds like Scale insects. What kind of holly? In any event you can use a horticultural oil at a 1.5-2% rate pretty safely at this time of year. If you are able to, treat the underneath of the leaves as thoroughly as possible. I use a high pressure rig (200-350 psi) but that is only for the sake of efficiency. If you are not licensed/certified to do the app., I suggest you get someone out there that is. Can't agree on the powdery mildew though. Some grows on the excrement of the scale, some from other factors like high humdity, slow air movement etc. Need a contact/systemic fungicide like Cleary's 3336 or Baleyton for that.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't remove the "white stuff" at all, then it may just be white paint. Is there any indication that an abutting structure has recently been painted?
Also, some Deer repellants are white (Thiram based). If they came off easily, they wouldn't work. Ask the customer if the plants were treated.
For scale, follow Ric's advice to a tee.
Steve
Old 03-26-2002, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

vegomatic40

I am bad and your right. Powdery mildew needs a fungusicide, Insecticidal soap is a fungusicide as well. My second paragraph should of read --------- " It either case scale or powdery mildew, Ultrafine Oil ( and Insecticidal Soap )will cure it. Follow the directions on the bottle."

Insecticidal soap and horticulture oil will cure about 90% of the problems on ornamentals. They act as insecticide, fungusicide, miteicide, bacteriaicide, all rolled into one. In the heat of summer they can be sprayed on at dusk and washed off in the morning. These products are pretty friendly to our environment. Unless you get sprayed in the eyes or soaked with 100% pure, they have little danger to human or animal.

I like to hit my shrubs with Merit and Cleary 3336 about 4 times a year. In a fifty gallon tank I mix one pack of each and 3 quarts of oil. I spray just to the point of run off. Here in the Bug Capital of America we have issue that the north doesn't have. It is still March and on Monday I found Mole cricket nymps. We have had a warm winter and on new accounts I am finding active large grubs. Degree days doesn't work because of our lack of freezes so we must be always looking. As I get older I am starting to be a tree hugger. I am trying my best to go I P M but feel preventive treatment is part of I P M. I am also trying to go back to granular Fertilizer and pesticides because of our sandy soil. Liquids leach to fast and cause problems with mother nature. I P M takes more work so it is a trade off on chemical cost. Less Chemicals but more expensive chemicals. No I am not trying to be chemical free just chemical responible. No I am far from it now but get a little closer each day.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kitzy figure out what it was yet?