Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper vs. SCAG

Anyone here that's had first hand experience with Scag and Grasshopper?? And which do you like or dislike most? I have an exmark and have been pretty satisfied except for having to do a lot of double-cutting in tall bahia grass and weeds. I know Scag has a good reputation for being solid and very dependable with good performance in that type cutting environment. My local Grasshopper dealer really talks highly of his machines, and the Grasshopper price is a little more attractive. I just wondered if anyone has used both and how they compare. I'm looking at the Grasshopper 223 and Scag Wildcat, both 52". Haven't really found a good direct comparison between the two on here. Any info is appreciated.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a tiger cub and it was built like a tank. The cut was good (the 19kaw on my 48" deck was a little underpowered going up hills), but I never had an issue getting a good cut. A few stringers here and there in the spring where I had to double cut. I'm no pro so don't know what causes that. Of course, the beginning of my third year of service my SCAG exploded in flames while I mowed so if you get one, check your fuel lines.

I've seen grasshoppers used quite a bit commercially in Ohio and a few here in Indiana so I'm sure their good enough for commercial use.
THREAD discussing the CUB fire HERE
CUB Disassembly photos: HERE
THREAD CUB Disassembly HERE
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Grasshopper makes a really well designed and long lasting machine. Nationwide, you will find many cities, counties, and schools using Grasshoppers because they are so durable and easy to maintain. Most of these places have to keep their machinery operating 7 - 10 years, and that is easy with the Grasshoppers.
I have owned and or sold Grasshoppers for 19 years and think they are onwe of the best ZTR's on the market.
I have demoed Scags several times, and never bought one. Every one I tried rode like a tank and beat me to pieces. I will take a Grasshopper any day over a Scag.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Had both and it depends on what you like. I will say for most parts of the year I preferred my Grasshopper 223/52. The only really dislike about the Hopper was wet grass and sticky weeds would build up under the deck in about 10 min or less in which I would be cussing to myself trying to keep the deck clean enough to cut. I will admit Scag builds a quality mower but they are the most uncomfortable mower I have driven.

Oh BTW, in my opinion the 23 on the Hopper is not enough engine because it circulates and chopps the clippings so much. Demo both.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, demo anything you are seriously considering for a purchase. These ZTR's just cost way too much nowadays to buy without trying.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grasshoppers are fine machines and leave a very smooth cut in our area. They have one of the best diesel selections around. They do ride better, are very comfortable, and are long lasting. The decks do stop up easy here but I doubt that would affect South Alabama or Florida. They recycle grass into small clippings. They miss long stalks of weeds that get layed over often. Not much negative to say.

Scag Turf Tigers are equally tough, mine rides ok, they move a lot of grass in a hurry and throw longer clippings. The Scag Velocity deck will clump less and handle thick, wet grass a bit better. Scag does not have a very good diesel selection. Turf Tigers are great on slopes and I think the larger out front Grasshoppers will follow the contour of a slope well also but not the midmounts.

Both are nice machine but just different. I would demo as much as I could. Grasshopper is a sleeper, much better machine than most people give them credit for.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the way the Grasshopper outfront mowers reduce so much trim time around bushs.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grasshopper

I truley like Grasshopper mowers. I demoed one when I was looking and like it alot. My situation was different though. My local Grasshopper dealer was a bit higher on his machines than my Scag dealer was on his Tigers. Very comfortable and good cut also. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to put one on my trailer.

Tags
comparison , grasshopper , scag