Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone ever lose the keys to rental equipment?

So, rented a chipper yesterday form HD for a day. Got the job finished up and the guy forgot to take the keys out the engine. So, this set of keys had everything for that chipper: wheel lock key, tongue key and ignition key. I take it back that evening because I was in the area and told the the situation.

That chipper was transfered from a different store with one set of keys . Well, that was the only set they had. Conclusion, I had to find the keys or spend X amount of dollars to replace the locking units.

What the real icing to that cake was the girl that was running the tool rental told me "Ya, if you would have rented any other piece of equipment there would have been no problem because we have spare sets for those" HA got her pegged right there. I said lady, who is the boss here. "Oh, well I am" So, how come there was not other sets of keys made. "well, yall should have not lost them" Lady, I understand, but accidents happen, everyone makes mistake, we are human that is just how life is.

So, I called the manager this morning and told him the situation. He told me he could not get me an answer right then and there. So, gave him my name and number, have not heard back, but they did manage to charge my back account 601.77 . 300 for yesterday and 301.77 today. I have no clue what the hell is going on, but they will be hearing from me tomorrow. I wanted to go down there this morning, but i had no time.

I know that it is not just HD's fault, I know it is mine also. But, there should have bene extra keys made when that unit was brought over. I know I need to be more careful next time. But, What I don't understand is why they had to have all those keys on that ring when the only key I needed was the ignition key.

So, in reality yes it is my fault, but I should not have to pay by what she told me because if it was any other piece of equipment it woud have been ok, but no this chipper, this exact one is different and I have to pay. Something is deffinitly wrong.

Aggravating, needed to vent. Any of you ever had this scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd call a local service shop or dealer for the brand equipment and see about getting a replacement key before allowing them to try to overcharge you for "replacement"
Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

just suck it up and pay what they charge. double check next time. consider it an expensive lesson.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards View Post
just suck it up and pay what they charge. double check next time. consider it an expensive lesson.
I was thinkin about that too.

Quote:
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to call the manufacture of the item and get a key for a few dollars. And its their fault its home depot they assume all renter's are stupid. (not saying you are but they know a lot of their renters are home owners)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Email or call Home Depot... I rented a wet saw and it had a blade so dull it would break/chip the tiles at the ends of the cut. Had a spare blade from a saw that I previously owned, so I replaced their blade used mine and put the crap blade back on. Long story short, I contacted HD and they sent me a gift card for the amount of the rental plus $25.

They will probably try to charge you for everyday they are unable to rent the machine because they have no keys. Good Luck
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Call a lock smith
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why didn't the idiot clerk call the store she brought it in from and have them make her a set of keys and send them to her????????????

I can see charging you a small fee for replacing the keys. Other than that BS.

And charging your card for a second days rental???? unbelieveable.

I'll make sure to never rent anything from HD. I hate going there for anything anyway as their stores are so understaffed you can't get help with anything.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I checked my account this morning. The 300 has been removed, but that still does not justify 301.77. The total for the rental was 252.?? 170 for the day, tax, 50 buck deposit, and 17 dollar damage fee thing.

This is the last time from HD.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah, i will never rent from HD again..We rented a TLB for 1 month, took it to the job about 35 miles away and took it off. Well it began to overheat after every five feet we dug. We called the HD we rented it from and brought it all the way back(same day). The dude fooled with it and said it was fixed...We get all the way back to the job with it only to have the hydro line in the backhoe burst. So, once again we bring it back..The funny thing is, the guy replaced the whole line with all new fittings.. Bring it back to the job the next day and what do ya know..That SAME hydro line busted again. We got our money back and rented a mini x from Coles rental