Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Dying zoysia-Replace sprinkler heads or mow short to 1" thatch??

Guys,

Our lawn is dying/dead. Very brown. We have a hunter system with 40+ pop up heads but our ZOYSIA grass is about 2" think and the heads do not clear the grass and therefore are not spraying effectively.

Should I replace all heads with much taller heads (Say 4" pop ups) or mow shorter? The zoysia only has like 1/2" of green at the top so the places where I weedeatered to 1" high left brown dead thatch and no green blades... so I am afraid to cut too short and kill the grass.

Tnx

Tex
Old 06-28-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I cut my zoysia taller (4") and have the sprinklers so they clear the grass. Don't cut it shorter. Make the sprinkler system work as it should.

Jason
Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When was the last time you core aerified and deep tine raked the lawn?
What you are saying is thatch is not thatch but stems of the leaf tissue that normally should be either a light green to almost yellow in appearance.
The fact that the leaf tissue is brown means the plant is not processing nutrients properly.
The finished height of cut should be at least 2" and in this heat probably at least 2.5".
I'd core aerify, heavily rake the cores and the lawn, BAG everything then correct the irrigation deficiencies.
Continue to bag ALL of the time, apply a foliar fertilizer according to a soil test and be patient as Zoysiagrass takes awhile to recover from stressors.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What type/variety of Zoysia do yoou have? The ones like Palisades and Jamur [my favorite] needs cut around 2.5 to 3.5". Some of the others like Zeon need cut very short, like some of the tiff types of Bermuda, or you will have more stem growth than blade growth [like you said about just a little green] . BTW I would definitly get the spray bodies replaced. You might even try some of the new micro rotors that will go into most spray bodies, not Toro though.

Tags
irrigation , sprinkler , zoysia