Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sell Echo for RedMax?

I'm still kinda starting out in lawn care, should i sell my Echo pb-46ht for a redmax? the echo is sh**. The trimmer (SRM210) is underpowered compared to a Redmax i tried, and i certainly wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on the RedMax's
Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bbbuuuummmmppppp
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Redmax 3100, it's the "brushcutter" model with the standard D handle. Anyway, it's a total POS. Unless you rub it just right, hold it upside down and run it wide open for 11 seconds, and say a prayer to the trimmer god of redmaxia, it won't stay running for more than a few minutes at a time. No, it's not an islated case either, search Redmax and find that many others have the same issues. The holding it upside down and running it wide open it NOT a joke, and one member posted that he found that's the only way he can get his to run. Give me a break.

Buy a Husqvarna, a Sthil, or something else...
Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I bought a Redmax 3100, it's the "brushcutter" model with the standard D handle. Anyway, it's a total POS. Unless you rub it just right, hold it upside down and run it wide open for 11 seconds, and say a prayer to the trimmer god of redmaxia, it won't stay running for more than a few minutes at a time. No, it's not an islated case either, search Redmax and find that many others have the same issues. The holding it upside down and running it wide open it NOT a joke, and one member posted that he found that's the only way he can get his to run. Give me a break.

Buy a Husqvarna, a Sthil, or something else...
did you take the spark arrestor out of the muffler

if not thatll choke it right out

ever since redmax changed to the strato charged design i had to start taking out the spark arrestors or within two weeks theyd be clogged and suffocating the engine

youve also gotta take the muffler off and clean out the cylinder of carbon every so often , very easy to do

and we just started running sea foam in ours in order to prevent carbon build up and after a week my whips are running much better
Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmax fan View Post
did you take the spark arrestor out of the muffler

if not thatll choke it right out

ever since redmax changed to the strato charged design i had to start taking out the spark arrestors or within two weeks theyd be clogged and suffocating the engine

youve also gotta take the muffler off and clean out the cylinder of carbon every so often , very easy to do

and we just started running sea foam in ours in order to prevent carbon build up and after a week my whips are running much better
Spark arrestor screen came out before I pulled the cord the first time. Pretty sure It's not carboned up as it was having the same issues when it was brand new as it did with about 20 total hours on it. About the time I got fed up and shoved it into the shed. Some said it needs a carb adjustment, but there's no adjustment screws. I've seen others post pics of these little covers that have to be drilled out to access the screws but on mine the only one of those I can even see dosn't appear to be inline with anything that could be remotely in the carburator. I'm not going to willy-nilly drill holes in the thing either.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Spark arrestor screen came out before I pulled the cord the first time. Pretty sure It's not carboned up as it was having the same issues when it was brand new as it did with about 20 total hours on it. About the time I got fed up and shoved it into the shed. Some said it needs a carb adjustment, but there's no adjustment screws. I've seen others post pics of these little covers that have to be drilled out to access the screws but on mine the only one of those I can even see dosn't appear to be inline with anything that could be remotely in the carburator. I'm not going to willy-nilly drill holes in the thing either.
this one dealer told me that since they went strato charged that they changed the carbs in order to make the emmissions work . and that carb change over can be a ***** . he said the carbs are so tricky they stopped rebuilding them and just put in new carbs because half the time they rebuild them the carbs still toast
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have several red max trimmers. Work fine, not as easy to start as the stihl but good none the less.

I got them for free, so I can't complain.

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love my 2401s, it is wayyyyyy better then my old 210
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerdude777 View Post
I love my 2401s, it is wayyyyyy better then my old 210
if you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? I'm trying to get an idea of how much i'd be spending.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerugg View Post
if you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? I'm trying to get an idea of how much i'd be spending.
I got it for 317 out the door
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer