Register free!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

recycle used transformers?

what do you guys do with the usable transformers from redo jobs? I seem to be stacking up a few nightscaping trans, and I really don't want to use these in a new install. much like the par cans that are stacking up, I hate to throw them out or use them, but they have value. do you guys sell the used stuff on ebay? or install used, and charge less?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have sold them at a cheaper price, with no warranty. I use them just those that want it cheap.
#wuzworthit
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I keep them for the freebie "friends and family" jobs that come up. My staff have some rather interesting systems built out of spares, parts, and old stuff pulled from jobs.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have initiated a refurbishing program for all of our old units that are out there that people want replaced or tuned up. We would take the old transformer and for a small fee we could pull it apart, replace old or outdated componenets and re can the units in a new up to date SS can. The core's are usually immaculate and still work with no issue. This would be just offered on our Unique Transformers. Something to keep in mind should you come across an old Unique System.

Obviously if there is a warranty issue then it will be taken care of at NO COST! ALL UNIQUE TRANSFORMERS CARRY A LIFE TIME WARRANTY!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
We have initiated a refurbishing program for all of our old units that are out there that people want replaced or tuned up. We would take the old transformer and for a small fee we could pull it apart, replace old or outdated componenets and re can the units in a new up to date SS can. The core's are usually immaculate and still work with no issue. This would be just offered on our Unique Transformers. Something to keep in mind should you come across an old Unique System.

Obviously if there is a warranty issue then it will be taken care of at NO COST! ALL UNIQUE TRANSFORMERS CARRY A LIFE TIME WARRANTY!!!!
Joey,

That's pretty cool. Impressive full service I don't know of any/many others that can do that. Thumbs up to Unique.

Alan
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Alan!! It's hard to remember all the cool little things that we do sometimes. LOL
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just like James ... Our old take outs end up with friends or family members who think our lighting is wonderful but could not afford one of our new turn key systems. Heck my own house is powered by take out transformers for now. I got some old vista units running it.

I have about 4 or 5 transformers laying around the shop at any given time. I suppose you could ebay them as well for around half what they would cost new plus shipping.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a couple of scavenged Nightscapes around for mock-ups. Used transformers recycle well and the copper has some value. Not as much this year as last but better than nothing.

When the day comes that I ever get around to doing any lighting for my home... I'll use "recycled" equipment; I've got a box in my shop for that day.

Tom
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Glad to see I am not the only one who has a mix and match lighting system. Its actually quite striking.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

so... it looks like I will be installing a system at my house of par's and nightscaping trans... and this is a good thing?