Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2002, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

hiring my first employee

wondering about some of your stories and advice on hiring an employee. i have a guy that is interested and that i know well enough to know that he will not screw me by leaving half way through the season. i have signed up a lot of work and finally sat down tonight and thought holy s#$t there is a lot here. Presently i have about 55 lawns with more coming in i think plus landscape jobs that need to be quoted (from existing customers so i will get the work). i am looking for some of the ins and outs of going through this process. (keep in mind this is a Canuck speakin eh although advice from the americans is always welcome here also.

anyway have fun!

WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

so 55 customers and no employees, how are u managing it currently. How many yards do you complete each day and how large are your lots. What time of equipment are you running?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Seems like you have aq lot of work for a solo op. you need some one, i hired my first employee at 14 lawns, but keep in mined i was only using two 21"
AK Lawn
Old 04-18-2002, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

14 well I have 21 and I am considering an employee...but what is the rate of pay and is it by the hour or a set sal
Old 04-18-2002, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

comming from experience, i have 5 employees now, though i have went through 20 different people, start at alow pay, 7-8, and make sure they are worth it make them prove them selves before giving them the silver plater, and work up from there, there was apoint after i hit 14 lawns were a an employee would quit or whatever and i would maintain up to 40 lawns but that was hell, only had 21"s, know it would not be so hard w/ my current equipment hope this helps
AK Lawn
Old 04-18-2002, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipmnet that i have

In regards to this i have 1 48" Bunton, 1 32" Toro, 2 21" toro prolines, 2 ECHO TRIMMERS, 1 hand held and 1 echo backpack blower, 5x8 trailer(soon to be upgraded) and 1992 GMC 1500 4x4. My problem is that some of the new customers are asking that i also do gardening while i am there(they pay for this of course) so this eats up my time and i have signed up a few larger properties which also eat up time. last year i had several smaller properties and not very profitable, this year i got rid of those and replaced them with better ones which are more profitable but more demanding on my time as a solo operator. I could d 10 - 15 properties/ day last year (record was 20). This year that will not be possible as they have gotten bigger. i also have picked up several landscaping projects in between the regular lawn maintenance. so maybe i need somebody but i do not know about the whole season. i think it is a very big decision to hire someone and think that you are providing for their well being, and this is why i am struggling with the decision. this does not even begin to mention the accounting responsibilities that i will now have with an employee.

thanks for listening and all your input