Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

stupid trees

Okay everyone told me about leaving slack on the bottom to compensate for tree growth, I'm also familiar with setting the screws and fixtures a few inches away from the tree. But one of my jobs was just attacked by a wire-breaking tree, as it grew in circumference.

To compensate, I'm now using a long slanted angle behind the tree instead of a nice and neat 90 degree angle which had concealed the cable. The issue is especially problematic where two wires split laterally to feed two fixtures, where the pull becomes doubled at the point where they split. I will no longer have them attached together like that, but use a long Y instead.

If anyone has a method for how they hang and position some slack into the cable up by the fixtures, that looks nice and is effective, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

maintain your systems. That is the number 1 key to prevent wires from being torn up by trees.

We have prevented a number of wires from being engulfed by the tree as it increases its diameter.

Assuming your tree has something other than lawn around it I leave the base screw out. I bury the wire shallow up to the base of the tree from a couple of feet out. I know some will tell me there is no need to leave slack because a tree grows from the top the reason I leave the slack wire is so I can manipulate it during maint visits and adjust it as needed.

Still using the zip ties with an eye hole and some 1.5 inch stainless screws and not tightening them down all the way. I did have a few river birches eat the screw a bit so I will be leaving them out a bit further.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Billy,

I've been using those zip-ties, do you tighten yours up snug, or do you leave them loose? I'm thinking of going more loose, and leaving the screws out a little more. I want to know if anyone uses a reserve slack method at the fixture for future adjustments and to absorb diameter growth. I hate the idea of leaving loops and slack wire, but I'm sure there is a simple way of leaving extra wire near the fixture. Maybe on the back of the tree with a small coil or loop.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering how line voltage deal with this, and then it occurred to me, they don't. I have pictures I took at a park of 120v fixtures with cables pulled off of the trees. It wasn't an old install, I'd like to see the conduit and the junction boxes in the next few years. They only thing they have going for them is the wire is heavier and solid core.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I leave a small loop of wire in the top. Drip loop... small bundle of wire then down it goes. Zip ties are pulled around the wire tight enough to hold the wire but loose enough I can manipulate it should it need adjustment... Screws go in so a couple of threads show.

I really wish unique would get going with the 35 ft leads already on the lunars and quasars. I mounted some yesterday at 30 ft and the splice would have been at eye level so I chose to run 12ga up the tree
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

35ft leads can be ordered custom. I will propose us making a change to go 35ft as a standard.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing does a better job of wiring a tree than the Arrow T59 Stapler. Just don't use it on young saplings, or hyper-fast growing species and you should be fine. Neat, clean, "Tree-safe", fast, efficient, and effective. I use the stainless steel product they make.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

James exactly what type of trees are you stapling in. I seen a merc vapor guy using them too but they dont hold very well. A handful of the landscapers around here use fencing staples and hammer em in which is a HUGE no no.

Staples just would not hold up in the thick bark of our pine trees.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Billy, I have been using Arrow T59 staples in trees for about 8 years or so... thousands of lights installed with them.

The Arrow T59 is perfect for 12/2 up the trunk of White Pine, Red Pine, Maple, Oak, Beech, Cherry, Walnut, Cedar, etc. As long as the tree is mature and not a hyper fast growing species the staple sticks into the outer layer of bark and grows out along with the bark. I rarely have to re-staple a tree. The staples come with a bit of adhesive on the tips which helps them hold onto the bark. I have used them extensively in some very thick bark Oak and Pine trees with great success. Try it, at the very least you will end up with a fantastic wire attachment tool for decks, fences, etc.

Regards

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one I use on structures occasionally but I didnt like the flimsy connection to a tree. Deer often rub trres here during the rut season as well.