Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2002, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

It is driving me nuts....

I'm 18 and I have had my landscaping business since I was 15. In the beginning it was't too bad, I was mowing 6 lawns a week. Since that time I have grown and now have 20 steady mowing customers, about 10 customers that call me for a one time mow each week. So I am mowing close to 30 lawns a week, plus I do mulch jobs, average is about 7 cu. yds.. The problem is that I do all this myself. You may think that it's not a big deal, but try doing that and going to college at the same time. It is close to impossible but I don't want to quit either one. There are days when I don't feel like mowing at all, mainly because of my mower. I have an ENCORE Z 48, and it clumps grass like crazy. It drives me nuts because I have to go over it again and again to keep the customer happy and it is wasting my time. As of right now I have no one working for me but I hope to change that soon. I guess what my question is, Does anyone have advise for me to get rid of the clumping and make the lawns look like nice flat carpets when I'm done? I sharpen the blades after I mow 5 lawns, I clean out under the deck all the time. I just don't know what is wrong. And I'm not really in the mood to buy another mower right now. Any advise would be great, thank you..
Old 04-20-2002, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

How much grass are you cutting at once?
Can you raise the blades maybe 1/2 inch?

You may need to double cut if the mower can't disperse adequately but I've found the best remedy to clumping is to cut as little as possible at once.

Roger
Old 04-20-2002, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are sure you have sharp blades and a properly operating underdeck (Clean & baffles in place), then I agree with Roger.

Cut more often or charge for double cuts.
Exmark 60" Lazer Z EPS
Exmark 36" Metro HP
Stihl trimmers & blowers
Ryan Renothin
Ryan Lawnaire V
Old 04-20-2002, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of the encore. I have one and it sucks. I used it yesterday and it doesn't compare at all to the cut quality my eXmarks. Find it a new home and get an exmark and be happy and finish earlier.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

clumps

If you have a walk behind parking lot blower, walk it quickly in a perpendicular fashion over your lines of clumps....be sure your air vent is set to blow parallel with the lawn instead of down into it...works everytime for me in those situations....especially this year where we went from winter to summer....In fact, I still have 3 foot pile of snow on one of my lawns from the infamous december 8 ft buffalo snowfall!
Old 04-20-2002, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're overwhelmed....

Give me back the 8 customers I referred to you Bruce! j/k

Get your friends and dad to help.....

You test drove my 60" Lazer Z last year, you loved it. Save up, hit your dad up for a loan and get one.....

Pat
Old 04-20-2002, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I'm 18 I go to high school and college and run Summit Grounds Keeping. We run with Great Dane 48" w/bs and comm. Ariens 21". Um... I know exactly what your talking about except, I don't always have to keep going over things unless the grass is a foot tall and soaking wet. If it clumps that bad... cut more often, or get rid of your Encore (they suck... POS). I love doing what I do... and it's probably more than you, so hang in there b/c summer is cake.
Need more advise... get a helper and buy another mower
Old 04-21-2002, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are using Gater blades change them to high lifts-This helps my scag to not clump as bad.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try half decking your cut.Doesnt collect so much grass under your machine.