Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2000, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Please save me from a terrible mistake, or tell me that it's not a mistake at all. I recently bought a home on about 2 acres with lots of trees, and my 21&quot; cut walk-behind just isn't very satisfying anymore. I'm a relatively poor (okay, make that &quot;cheap&quot professor with twins on the way, and I don't want to spend a fortune an a mower, but I want one that will work well for me. The borrowed lawn tractor that I used last year (&quot;shift-on-the-go&quot; 38&quot; cut) gets the job done in about 2 hours, with lots of tedious maneuvering around trees. <p>It seems that a large walk-behind would be ideal, but I'm too cheap to buy a commercial model (and really don't need commercial quality for once a week use, do I?). Has anyone used the DR-46 from Country Home Products? At about $1700 (low-end model) it seems pricy - does it work well? Does it cut well? Does it hold up (remember - weekly residential use, not commercial)? Or would I be better off paying $1200 for a MTD-made 42&quot; cut lawn tractor with pedal drive?<p>Sorry for the long message. Any replies will be much appreciated. - tip184
Old 03-24-2000, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are willing to spend 1700 on the DR, then you should think about a commercial mower. If you go to a dealer, you can buy a real nice used one for probably a lot less than that DR, and be able to run circles around it. Also, I don't know if DR is local, but if they aren't, serivicing it may be a large problem. If you buy from a local dealer, they will probably work out a better deal on the mower if you bring it there for the servicing and also, this way, you don't have to worry about getting it fixed.<p>
Old 03-28-2000, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

you can buy a used commercial walkbehind for 1200 bucks. will last ten times longer than a residential riding mower and will get the job done much faster and easier. look in tradin times for a used mower....theres tons
Old 03-28-2000, 07:25 PM

I've seen the dr before and it looks like junk. Your better of with a commercail mower for almost the same price. Somethimes you can even find a decent used one for under a grand.
Old 03-28-2000, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your ship may have just came in. Used equipment may be alot easier than you think. Try making a post at the other new discussion. Already saw a 52&quot; scag that sounds right down your ally.<p>Good luck.
Old 03-30-2000, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who replied to my question. You convinced me to get a used commercial mower - I just bought a 48&quot; Scag belt-drive walkbehind. It appears to be in good shape, was lightly used, and will probably last the rest of my life in once-a-week use on my lawn. <p>Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2000, 03:22 AM
Lawnforce 2

i own a john deere walk behind. it is old beltdive model. but it runs great,cuts great.<br>i have made lots of money with it. but it can't beat ower scag hydros by no means so you make a good choice on the scag. they run for ever<br>
Old 01-12-2001, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

remember

Nothing last if you dont maintain it.
OIL CHANGE,LUBE,CLEAN MOWER AFTER USE.
TM
Old 01-12-2001, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Boy, this is an old thread!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!