Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Grandstand Leaf Issue

When using the Grandstand for fall clean-up, (I bag the leaves) the leaves blow out the front of the deck. Is there some kind of flap that I can get to prevent this from happening?

96' Dodge Ram 2500
Little Wonder Blower 6HP
Little Wonder Vac 8.5HP
1 Echo Trimmers 210i

Old 10-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Sponsor

AA+ landscaping -

There are a couple of things you can do to help resolve your issue. First, we recommend switching to "low sail" blades when bagging leaves. This will reduce the external air flow allowing (blow out) and provide better suction. You can get low sail blades from your Toro dealer. If this doesn't solve the issue to your satisfaction, you can also install a "leaf enhancement kit" which will provide a better seal around the perimeter of the deck. Again this is available from your Toro dealer. Estimated retail is about $90 (actual price is set by dealer). Just to be clear, if you opt to go with the Leaf Enhancement Kit, be sure to also install the low sail blades.

TURBO FORCE 48" Low Sail Blade part # 107-3193 TURBO FORCE 52" Low Sail Blade part # 105-7795

Leaf Seal Kit 48" TURBO FORCE part # 108-4091 Leaf Seal Kit 52" TURBO FORCE part # 107-1634

As you probably know, it's critical to have your deck height of cut set low enough to create a good seal between the grass and deck. If the deck is set too high air will blow out rather than create suction. Good luck.

- The Toro Company
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

So, what you are telling me the Grandstand has blow out just like the Ferris does. If that is true I wont be buying one of them this spring!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since we're talking blades here do the brains behind the TF decks have recommendations on which blades (since there a 5 types) work best in different conditions? Like when it's wet would a low or medium sail blade work better?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Sponsor

Lilweeds -

Here is a general summary of typical blade use for TURBO FORCE decks. Of course, adjusting the baffle position on the deck, per decal, is also recommended to maximize cutting performance in different conditions. Hope this is helpful.

Atomic Mulching: Blade has a toothed sail for mulching in discharge mode.
Recycler Blade: low lift blade ideal for mulching without discharge
Low sail blade: ideal for light turf conditions, sandy geographies and bagging dry leaves
Medium sail blade: ideal for side discharging or bagging in average conditions.
High sail blade: ideal for side discharging in dense, heavy conditions or bagging wet leaves

- The Toro Company
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Low sail blade: ideal for light turf conditions, sandy geographies and bagging dry leaves
High sail blade: ideal for side discharging in dense, heavy conditions or bagging wet leaves

Toro-

Can it be concluded that the HIGH SAIL BLADE is backward compatible to cover HEAVY CONDITIONS and also AVERAGE CONDITIONS, or does it perform only in HEAVY CONDITIONS ?...thank you.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post

Toro-

Can it be concluded that the HIGH SAIL BLADE is backward compatible to cover HEAVY CONDITIONS and also AVERAGE CONDITIONS, or does it perform only in HEAVY CONDITIONS ?...thank you.
Mysteryman -

The high sail blade is standard as it is the most versatile. If very normal conditions use high sail blades. If more unique conditions use the blade that best fits those conditions.

- The Toro Company
Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running high lifts all year on my Grandstand....they have worked great, and this years has been a very tough year with heavy growth all the way thru.. I am now running doubles with gators on top and high lifts on bottom.....still learning as far as the leaves go..... Do have some blow out of the left side but I have a plan to fix that.....with rubber skirting

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Drm

Does this blade set-up work well in 'light-to-average' conditions, or do you just cut heavy/wet grass with it?
What size deck and engine do you run?
Having read a lot of posts about doubles wearing-out or straining the electric PTOs, do you have any comments on this matter having run the doubles?
I'll thank you in advance for your reply.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running doubles for 10 years and never lost a PTO.....did replace one spindle on a mower but I can't say that was because of running doubles..... It will work well in any conditions... But light to average single hi-lifts will work great as well....I have been runnig 52" decks with 23hp kawis for years

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama