Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Takkie is the new black?

I was talking to Dale at KR the other day and we were talking about how Takeuchi seems to be really coming on and people are very happy with their products. They seem like a real choice and now with Ron's impending defection, are they taking market share? Is there other brands that a people would ridicule you for having but have proven themselves? Are they getting better dealers?

What do you think?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I doubt They will ever take Market share from the big guys but now that work has changed and people are being forced to get maximum value out of there equipment companies like Tak and Kubota are really starting to gain value.
People followed colors when business was booming but I think you will see people following value now that times are tight.
Why can Tak and Kubota build an excavator that pound for pound will out perform anyones yet still come in below the big names price?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Why can Tak and Kubota build an excavator that pound for pound will out perform anyones yet still come in below the big names price?
You could ask the same of Hyundai in the car segment.

Takeuchi isn't well-enough established that it will grab market share, but it makes a darned good product. Maybe Cat should have done something there instead of with a certain three-letter manufacturer? :P

(kidding... just adding fuel to the fire)
Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
You could ask the same of Hyundai in the car segment.

Takeuchi isn't well-enough established that it will grab market share, but it makes a darned good product. Maybe Cat should have done something there instead of with a certain three-letter manufacturer? :P

Hyundayi still builds a peice of crap car as they always have but they are cheap. I turned wrenches for most of my life and Hyundai has always been a disposable car. Really not a fair comparrison to Tak and Kubota.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Hyundayi still builds a peice of crap car as they always have but they are cheap. I turned wrenches for most of my life and Hyundai has always been a disposable car. Really not a fair comparrison to Tak and Kubota.
I think we've been though this before, but I really do feel that Hyundai has improved drastically in the last five, even seven, years. Their newer stuff is quite solid.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I think we've been though this before, but I really do feel that Hyundai has improved drastically in the last five, even seven, years. Their newer stuff is quite solid.
Only time will tell.

Here where I live drivers average 25k + miles a year.
Heck my wifes 6 year old Expedition is over 200k.
So Keep that in mind when I express my opinions on hyunda's.
Most places people just do not drive that much so for a car to last here that means it will need to go 150k miles with zero repairs to be considered a good car.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Maybe Cat should have done something there instead of with a certain three-letter manufacturer? :P

It's a good question....I know that Mustang and Gehl are not the most popular brands for SSLs, but you'd have to think they would have set the world on fire with the rebranded TAKs through their broader dealer network. Same exact machines except for a lower cab.

I've often wondered how much of a true representation those of us that regularly post on this forum (about a dozen regular posters) are in the national market. Everyone glows about the Takeuchi, generally craps on the CAT MTLs, dogs ASVs, is indifferent to the CASE and NH machines and offers mixed reviews of the Bobcat's and Deere's. Yet Bobcat and CAT are clear leaders regarding marketshare for rubber tracked machines.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
It's a good question....I know that Mustang and Gehl are not the most popular brands for SSLs, but you'd have to think they would have set the world on fire with the rebranded TAKs through their broader dealer network. Same exact machines except for a lower cab.

I've often wondered how much of a true representation those of us that regularly post on this forum (about a dozen regular posters) are in the national market. Everyone glows about the Takeuchi, generally craps on the CAT MTLs, dogs ASVs, is indifferent to the CASE and NH machines and offers mixed reviews of the Bobcat's and Deere's. Yet Bobcat and CAT are clear leaders regarding marketshare for rubber tracked machines.
Yeah, this is definitely true stuff. For as much as Cat's machines stink at performance, they've definitely made a place in the market for themselves (national/continental figures, not individual figures). That being said, I still don't think there's a HUGE difference among any two machines. For most, any machine will probably get the job done in about the same amount of time. Personal preference, of course, will impact the decision, but from a purely practical ("Is the machine capable of doing a general job"), I'd say the field is a lot more even now than it was fifteen years ago.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, this is definitely true stuff. For as much as Cat's machines stink at performance, they've definitely made a place in the market for themselves (national/continental figures, not individual figures). That being said, I still don't think there's a HUGE difference among any two machines. For most, any machine will probably get the job done in about the same amount of time. Personal preference, of course, will impact the decision, but from a purely practical ("Is the machine capable of doing a general job"), I'd say the field is a lot more even now than it was fifteen years ago.
I agree. Machines are much more even.

I bet if you polled the masses you would find the primary job of a Skid Steer is moving loose material/ objects like pallets of material.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Im starting to see quite a bit of Takkies, more than i use to normally see.

Appear to be coming a real popular brand, alot of guys switching over.The performance and comfort are one of a kind.