Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need some brake fluid help ASAP!

Bought a very nice truck this summer for myself, and the Mrs. More of a personal truck, crew cab black 250 diesel, love the truck! Spotless. Was about 150 miles away from home a week or so ago when the front left brake caliper clamped up. This has happened in each one of the 4 fords I have ever owned, not sure why but it has. Anyways I'm far from home, didnt really realize it until we get stuck in traffic and every time I hit the brake I get a lovely grinding sound and feeling. Long story short I needed a new front brake job. All done

Now the problem- During the grinding and what not a brake line snapped up front, spewed brake fluid all down the left side of my nice spotless black truck!! Along with the metal shavings that I basically created while driving on this the rest of the way home the side of my truck looks like its all rusty!

Does anyone know of a cleaner for brake fluid or even a wheel cleaner that is somewhat safe to use on the painted surfaces?? Everything Ive ever cleaned wheels with says dont spray it anywhere near painted surfaces. Goin nuts now cause my black beauty lol is not lookin so clean anymore. Sorry for the long post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

You might have a problem because brake fluid attacks paint really bad. Hope you have a good wax job.

To remove the brake fluid use WD-40 you need a oil to remove oil, brake fluid is a highly purified hydraulic oil really corrosive. Get it washed off with the WD-40 then use a good car wash soap to wash the truck. Be carefull and not to rub too hard on the area that the brake fluid was on. You may have to color sand or rubbing compount that area afterwards.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh boy!! This could get fun, thanks for the wd-40 idea, thought crossed my mind as well. Wasnt sure what effect that would have on the paint either though.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure about newer vehicals with clear coat finishes I never tried dripping brake fluid on it. I know it does eat through paint because brake fluid is corrosive not in the way of burning your skin but it causes damage.

The only good thing WD-40 is good for is cleaning and it is a oil that can remove other oil.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll try that tomorrow, 12 degrees out right now.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I would try do it when its bright outside so you can see if there is any problems. If you start seeing paint washing off I would be heading off to a body shop.

I know brake fluid can take paint off right down to bare steel that is new clean brake fluid thou.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its not so bad on clear coated vehicles. I use to spill it all the time on our 04 f550 because the slave cylinder always leaked on th clutch.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And how did you get it off unknownfl?

I'll try some things tomorrow and let you know. You wouldnt notice it however theres a burnt orange kinda tone to it all.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly I don't think I ever wiped it off. It was a work truck and I said to hell with them if they don't want to fix the clutch they must not care about there trucks. I will tell you this though every mustang I have bought the first place I look for rust is under the booster. If the master cylinder leaks or you spill fluid filling up it will rust over time.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, gotta get this rust off!!! Thanks for the tip there