Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying a Dump Trailer

I'm looking a buying a new dump trailer and need some advice. I want to use this trailer for everything. I want to haul my mower, mulch, leaves, ect. I noticed that Bri Mar has an optional landscape gate for loading mowers, and also hinges at the top to dump material. I looking at either a 6x10 or 7x12 in the 10k to 12k range. I've also looked at the Sure Trac trailers and they look well built. If you have any pictures of your dump trailer or have any suggestions that would be great.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I priced the 14' Sure Trac dump trailers at a local place called Detro trailers here in Indiana and they have the best prices that I've been able to find by far. It may be worth your drive here. I can give you more info if you would like.

Unless storage is an issue, I don't think you want to use a dump trailer just to haul mowers around. The fuel you save without the extra weight of the dump will pay for that other trailer.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I've heard of Detro trailers. What kind of price did they giver you for the 14'. I know the dump trailers are heavy, but I plan on doing quite a bit of mulch work in the spring. I might add another trailer later if it gets to be too much. I need something that is dual purpose. Plus I have the older 7.3L Powerstroke and it is pretty easy on fuel.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Buckeye View Post
I've heard of Detro trailers. What kind of price did they giver you for the 14'. I know the dump trailers are heavy, but I plan on doing quite a bit of mulch work in the spring. I might add another trailer later if it gets to be too much. I need something that is dual purpose. Plus I have the older 7.3L Powerstroke and it is pretty easy on fuel.
I wrote the prices down, let me find the paper and I'll let you know in a bit.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

x2 on the fuel thing mentioned. I assume you'll use the trailer for all things like you said, but if its mainly to haul equipment, its not worth it. I have 2 bri-mars and their great trailers. I would say stick with the low profile (non heavy duty). The heavy duty models are very heavy duty compared to the low profile non heavy duty lol Their alot heavier and just have larger components.
Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was
Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think one of the responses to this question is go bigger than you think you need. I wish I would have listened to that advice. I have a 6x10 7kGVWR. I bought it to stay within DOT regulations for the truck I had. Well now I have a bigger truck that can tow more but now have this trailer. Don't get me wrong it has served me great! I just want a bigger and higher GVWR. Two mowers do not fit in my 10ft trailer. GO BIGGER.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, follow along closely they sell the 14' 14K Suretrac Dump for $5150, it comes with dual hydraulic cylinders.

They go up to $5350 for a scissor lift or $5575 for a single hydraulic lift from the tongue. The single from the front looks like it would give you the best leverage for lifting, but I think they would all do the job without trouble.

The more expensive models also come with stake pockets all the way around instead of a gusset to mount a single 2"x12" like the $5150 model. It wouldn't be a problem to simply add another board to the 2"x12" if you feel that you need to though.

The more expensive models also come with a place to mount the ramps under the rear end instead of hanging them on the side, drop axles (this would be very important to you if you plan to load equipment on the trailer), and different spring couplers.

If was to get one tomorrow, I would buy the $5350 model simply for the drop axles.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here are a couple of pictures that I took while at Detro.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A few more...
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are bringing up some good points. Certainly there are pro and cons to dump trailers. I think I would shy away from the drop axles as it would take a mile to dump a load. I wouldn't even mess with the ramps that they sell....you might bust a nut carrying those around. I like the landscape ramps they show on Bri Mar's website (under options). And I'm sure it's a heavy trailer but I really need something to haul mulch with. Maybe I'll check out the dump inserts for my pick-up.