Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So Dads trying to pull it off...

So as yall know, I am not doing anything more than needed with the biz this year with my new occupation.

Well I came rolling in the other night from work and Dad meets me in the garage and says I might have us some work..

I was like oh fun stuff, cause most of the work he gets is electrical. Well turns out, he some how got the number to a guy at the SC forestry commission looking for someone to do some fire break mowing and undergrowth thinning..

I was like umm, and how exactly do you plan on doing this? He says together we can work 4 days a week.. Which will put me working every freakin day of the week. But hey, I want a new truck, I'll deal with it. But I am not getting involved with trying to get the work, I'll do the little bit of leg work he asks me to do but no more..

Well so far he's only asked me do a couple things, find out the weight of the loaders and he asked me to ask yall a couple questions.(I've got him on here looking at pics and stuff, he says he now understands why I am on the computer all the time )

1) What kind of production can you expect out of a Fecon doing undergrowth that is just a little to big for a bush hog?

2) What would you do for a machine if you were in our position? (buy new? get a used T300 and set it up? Buy a used T320 already set up?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
So as yall know, I am not doing anything more than needed with the biz this year with my new occupation.

Well I came rolling in the other night from work and Dad meets me in the garage and says I might have us some work..

I was like oh fun stuff, cause most of the work he gets is electrical. Well turns out, he some how got the number to a guy at the SC forestry commission looking for someone to do some fire break mowing and undergrowth thinning..

I was like umm, and how exactly do you plan on doing this? He says together we can work 4 days a week.. Which will put me working every freakin day of the week. But hey, I want a new truck, I'll deal with it. But I am not getting involved with trying to get the work, I'll do the little bit of leg work he asks me to do but no more..

Well so far he's only asked me do a couple things, find out the weight of the loaders and he asked me to ask yall a couple questions.(I've got him on here looking at pics and stuff, he says he now understands why I am on the computer all the time )

1) What kind of production can you expect out of a Fecon doing undergrowth that is just a little to big for a bush hog?

2) What would you do for a machine if you were in our position? (buy new? get a used T300 and set it up? Buy a used T320 already set up?)
Well Junior, you finally asked a question I can help with..
You know about the learning curve for mulching and that you need quite a bit of support for one.

To answer question number one, you could mulch ALOT of small material in a day with either machine you mentioned especially in cooler weather. If they are only concerned with knockdown and you aren't backdragging/re-mulching, then it's blow and go on 3-4" material.

As for a machine? I would get as much hp as you can afford. If you buy, you are stuck with it..when work slows so you would want to commit. T320 and mulcher is about 12,500 lbs. You would need a large transfer tank because you will only get 4-5 hrs at full throttle on high flow between fill-ups. You will need an air compressor and long handled blow gun and a couple of other things.

If you get the Bobcat with Bobcat mulcher, it will most likely have the forestry production kit which adds even more weight. I don't like it.
If you get a used machine that isn't set up, you will need lexan, no if's and's or but's if you want to be safe. I know where to get Lexan to exactly fit G and K series doors.

Hope this helps.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would lease, rent to own or anything BUT go out and make a huge capital investment in a fledgling opportunity.

Don't get burned quickly just starting out.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would make sure you have plenty of work lined up for a machine before I would buy. Do you know how long term this deal is?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
I would make sure you have plenty of work lined up for a machine before I would buy.
good advice

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That was going to be my suggestion. I would try and find one to rent or if you think it may turn into more, put it on an RPO so you can roll your rent over to a purchase. If you at least owned a high flow machine perhaps you could start hunting for a good deal on a mulcher, but if you need both right out of the box your asking to get some butt sex before its all over. Unlikely there is enough money to be made to fund a skid steer and mulcher and still cover costs (including your wage). However maybe I am wrong.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Sub the job out to Andrew and watch him work
Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll add alittle. The others gave good advice, I'll try to tie it together alittle better. Yes a large skid steer can be productive. But you have to also look at how much small material you will be engaging at once. 1-2 4" trees are easy, 4+ 4" at one time will bog a head. So the density is inportant to look as well as the lay of the terrain (hills etc.)
Also most will not rent or lease mulchers so a more realistic route would be purchase the head and then you can rent or lease a high flow skid steer alone.
And lastley I'll throw this in a high production head will go along way. Both on the tractor and production. Hint Hint
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

dont be a tool
help your old man out
Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your talking a 100K+ investment so it better be a pretty good contract.