Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compact Grandstand availability and price

Can anyone please tell me when the 40" Grandstand will be availabe for purchase?? Also what the MSRP will be? Any help would be appreciated as I am seriously considering buying one.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Sponsor

a clear difference lawn -

The new GrandStand 36" and 40" models are expected to begin shipping to dealers around the first part of March. Pricing varies by market as it is set by the local distributor and dealer. Please check with your local Toro Commercial Dealer regarding pricing in your market.

-The Toro Company
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx for the info.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
a clear difference lawn -

The new GrandStand 36" and 40" models are expected to begin shipping to dealers around the first part of March. Pricing varies by market as it is set by the local distributor and dealer. Please check with your local Toro Commercial Dealer regarding pricing in your market.

-The Toro Company
What about the 2010 48" grandStand? When will that be shipping to dealers?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Sponsor

mysterman-

Toro Commercial Dealers should be receiving the 2010 48"/52" models about the same time as the 36" and 40" models - early March.

-The Toro Company
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. I will follow-up with my dealer.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
mysterman-

Toro Commercial Dealers should be receiving the 2010 48"/52" models about the same time as the 36" and 40" models - early March.

-The Toro Company
March is fine for Michigan, I suppose. But some years we're busy mowing by then down south, when there is still snow on the ground up there. It's a busy time and the last thing we want to do in the springtime is be hassling with mower buying when we're already deluged with marketing, new customers, cleanups, etc. Most dealers here seem to have their big sales in Feb, and I figure that's for a good reason. Timing is everything in retail.

There seems to be a disconnect between manufacturers in the north and customers in the south. They don't seem to "get" that we have specific needs in terms of mower design and also when new designs become available for purchase. Numerous times I've had to pass on buying new machines from various makers because April (effectively that's when you'll actually be able to get one unless you are some sort of maniac who buys a new design w/o a test first) isn't good enough when you have lawns to mow before then. Hustler lost a wb sale to me last year for that reason. Need to hire more engineers? Do it, because it must be costing sales.

Also, a business needs time to test and access the capabilities of a machine before they run out and quote lawns based on using it. How can I properly bid a job if I don't know how long a Grandstand will take to do the work, or if it will give a good enough cut on a small, hilly, or undulating lot? So for that reason we need the units before the season, not during it. Otherwise it's "wait till next year" or more likley, buying a competitor's already proven and testable product.

I'd advise Toro to wake up and check the demographics. The money and population is moving south. Neglect it at your peril. With the 48/52" GS in the field for over a year and the new ones already 90% designed, there is little excuse for not having 36" and 40" units ready to go before the '10 season. Meanwhile, this time last year I was unable to find a GS to demo. I am NOT going to wait another season and will be visiting a Wright dealer.

Toro better get it together. I've owned over a dozen through the years, but this doesn't cut it, no pun intended. When I started 18 years ago Toro was THE mower here and every trailer had at least one. Not anymore. Wonder why?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32 View Post
March is fine for Michigan, I suppose. But some years we're busy mowing by then down south, when there is still snow on the ground up there. It's a busy time and the last thing we want to do in the springtime is be hassling with mower buying when we're already deluged with marketing, new customers, cleanups, etc. Most dealers here seem to have their big sales in Feb, and I figure that's for a good reason. Timing is everything in retail.

There seems to be a disconnect between manufacturers in the north and customers in the south. They don't seem to "get" that we have specific needs in terms of mower design and also when new designs become available for purchase. Numerous times I've had to pass on buying new machines from various makers because April (effectively that's when you'll actually be able to get one unless you are some sort of maniac who buys a new design w/o a test first) isn't good enough when you have lawns to mow before then. Hustler lost a wb sale to me last year for that reason. Need to hire more engineers? Do it, because it must be costing sales.

Also, a business needs time to test and access the capabilities of a machine before they run out and quote lawns based on using it. How can I properly bid a job if I don't know how long a Grandstand will take to do the work, or if it will give a good enough cut on a small, hilly, or undulating lot? So for that reason we need the units before the season, not during it. Otherwise it's "wait till next year" or more likley, buying a competitor's already proven and testable product.

I'd advise Toro to wake up and check the demographics. The money and population is moving south. Neglect it at your peril. With the 48/52" GS in the field for over a year and the new ones already 90% designed, there is little excuse for not having 36" and 40" units ready to go before the '10 season. Meanwhile, this time last year I was unable to find a GS to demo. I am NOT going to wait another season and will be visiting a Wright dealer.

Toro better get it together. I've owned over a dozen through the years, but this doesn't cut it, no pun intended. When I started 18 years ago Toro was THE mower here and every trailer had at least one. Not anymore. Wonder why?
Agreed, I was very interested in getting a grandstand but got sick of the run around all of the dealers were giving me - so today I am going to buy a brand new dixie chopper. Toro could have had my $8000 with just a little better customer service and an earlier seosonal release for their new equipment.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32 View Post

Bruce 32 -

Your frustration is understandable and we apologize for the delay. Our intent was to have the new models available earlier than March, but final design and qualification required that production dates be moved out. Like you, we need time to test and access the quality and performance of mowers before finalizing parts, tooling and fixtures for production. While there are many similarities to our 48"/52" GrandStand, there are also a number of structural/weight/space differences that require thorough testing to ensure desired performance, handling and durability objectives are achieved. We never like to lose a sale or worse a customer because of a late product introduction, but we cannot knowingly cut corners related to quality in order to move-up the schedule. In the end our customers are better served if we miss some sales by holding off shipment of products until they're ready to be built and sold. Product demos will be available at Toro Commercial Dealers (CD designation on our dealer locator)as soon as we begin shipping product. If you can wait that long I suggest contacting your local Toro Commercial Dealer to verify which models he/she has on order and to line-up a demo of the exceptional product as soon as it arrives.

-The Toro Company
Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Bruce 32 -

Your frustration is understandable and we apologize for the delay. Our intent was to have the new models available earlier than March, but final design and qualification required that production dates be moved out. Like you, we need time to test and access the quality and performance of mowers before finalizing parts, tooling and fixtures for production. While there are many similarities to our 48"/52" GrandStand, there are also a number of structural/weight/space differences that require thorough testing to ensure desired performance, handling and durability objectives are achieved. We never like to lose a sale or worse a customer because of a late product introduction, but we cannot knowingly cut corners related to quality in order to move-up the schedule. In the end our customers are better served if we miss some sales by holding off shipment of products until they're ready to be built and sold. Product demos will be available at Toro Commercial Dealers (CD designation on our dealer locator)as soon as we begin shipping product. If you can wait that long I suggest contacting your local Toro Commercial Dealer to verify which models he/she has on order and to line-up a demo of the exceptional product as soon as it arrives.

-The Toro Company
I agree, better for them to arrive late than to arrive flawed. But still, getting things done right before the season starts is Toro's responsibility.

In our business a big part of our job is to make proper allowances for delays and such so that the job gets done on time, with no excuses. Sometimes in large corporations that fact gets lost. Budgets, approvals, etc all get in the way. But ultimately we don't care why, we just need what we need.

I've been waiting since late '08 for a Grandstand that does what I need it to do. This is simply feedback, as I feel that we cannot complain if we do not provide Toro with the information needed to fix what is wrong.

Many Bermuda lawns are cut with 21" mowers because of the inability of most midsize decks to handle it. This is a HUGE productivity failure in the industry, as these mowers are fatiguing and about 25% as productive as a midsize machine. Any company offering a solution and properly marketing that solution to we Bermuda mowers would profit.