Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

tailgate cables

Question: is this a good idea, or do you see a problem on the horizon that I don't. I once had a tailgate support cable snap (luckily the tailgate did not get damaged) as the cable rusted away. I saw immediately what had happened. The two open ends point up all day collecting water in the 'belly' (halfway point of the cable where it folds when the tailgate is up). Since then, I take my new cables that have never been outdoors and silicone the two open ends. So far so good. Now that I have discovered Fluid Film I am thinking of taking a new set of cables (my current siliconed set is six years old) and injecting fluid film into the two open ends to permeate the cables and preserve them. Is this a good idea? Should I do this and then silicone the ends for added assurance of water not rusting the cables? Should I soak the cables in fluid film (I can't imagine that there's anything on them that the Fluid Film can damage) to really get it inside the cable rather than injecting it? or, should I simple silicone the cables without Fluid Film? Has anybody done this?? Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok this is what you can do, spray some on the ends, let it soak overnight and and then spray them agian the next day and then you should be good to go. silicone will NOT stick to FF at all so count that out. You might be have to spray them about every 6 months or so but you should be good
12 foot dump trailer
61 inch buton
52 inch ferris
quick 36
48 inch exmark
Bobcat 643
Sthil trimmers and blowers and one damn echo that wont die, so i may shoot it soon
all sorts of hand tools
Way more stuff then that, but i just dont want to list.

And the toy for fun 1994 Baja 18 footer with a 4.3
Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

there's only 1 place you never want to spray fluid film and that's any place you walk. spraying it on the cables is more than fine. better be careful though or you'll end up goin spray happy and need a new case before you can blink
Old 02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. When you mentioned that the silicone will not stick to Fluid Film that made me think of another situation. I was going to apply Fluid Film to a semi-painted, semi-rusty tow eye I have in my receiver. Every year it rusts in the winter so every year I paint it in the spring. After six years I can see some metal deterioration. Since Fluid Film is supposed to halt rust I thought of applying it to the tow eye. If I do, however, will I ever be able to paint it again??
Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You would just have to clean it off real well before painting. Either a warm detergent wash or solvent wash would remove the Fluid Film.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thaks, Dan, does that 'leave some in the pores' to protect the metal after the wash? or am I completely removing all traces of Fluid Film? I'd like to think of the application/washup as a pre-treatment for painting with lasting results. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you have to remove all the fluid film or else the paint wont last. it may appear to stick but it will fall off eventualy. this is what i would do with your tow eye...

if you have access to air tools all the better if not the old fashioned way will work...

either by air sanding with a 24 or 36 grit disc, hand sanding, wire wheel in a drill, remove as much of the paint/rust as possible. get the hook as close to bare metal as possible. grab a can of rustoleum professional grey primer in the spray can, give the hook 3 very light coats of primer letting it dry in between each coat. let it cure for a day then paint it with whatever metal paint you want then once the paint has cured coat it with fluid film

i go threw that rustoleum primer by the cases come nice weather. the stuff is amazing. 99.9999999999999+% of the time when the surface you use it on gets the paint chipped only the paint gets destroyed. the primer stays unharmed
Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

That's helpful, Skynyrd, I see what you mean about applying the Fluid Film after the finish coat has cured...the paint will stick and the metal will be protected with paint and Fluid Film. Sometimes there's no substitute for hard work!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if u wanna swing by once it's warm out and bring a pizza i'll do it for ya

Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To the OP, what make is the truck that had the cable break? If it was a GM truck the cables were recalled a number of years ago and a dealership will replace them with new upgraded stainless cables. I had an '01 that had them replaced. They were ok in apperence but I guess that the problem lied inside the plastic coating, as water got inside they would eventually rust and fail.