Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

? for the guys with trailers larger than 16 to 18' that haul multiple mowers

What size are your axles? Tandem only. I'm looking at 20' models and sooo many come standard with 3,500 lb axles. Isn't that silly? A good strong built trailer that size is going to weigh around 3K empty alone, then when you add 3 zero turn mowers, in my case a 61" grasshopper and two Walkers, you are pushing those little axles to the limit. Some trailer places think I'm dumb for waning larger 5,200lb axles and others say it's really smart and something that to many overlook. I just saw another post in the pics forum of a guys brand new 20' enclosed, with 3500lb axles... why???? Just to save a couple hundred bucks up front... and 2 or 3 years down the road when they are tweaked and the brakes have been replaced twice you end up replacing both axles completely. I've been down that road, and not making that mistake again.

But, heres the kicker... The DOT makes it rough on people that want a "proper" trailer to haul their load. Once you get a heavier axled trailer, and pulling it with a 1 ton truck, you are likely over your max GVW and now you need a CDL to drive your damn pickup and lawn trailer on the road. So guys have to buy trailers with undersized axles and max them out to be legal... 7K total weight on a 7K trailer axles is ok legally, but not right mechinacally. 7K on a 10K trailer is smart and safer, but illegal to tow with certian trucks without a CDL. It dosn't pay to be safe?

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it is stupid. Can't a trailer be registered at a lower gvwr than the axle ratings?

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is one of those goofy laws where common sense was overlooked, these laws were obviously meant for larger trucks, but they probably didnt realize it would affect people like us, Around here the police and the DOT police do not stop lawn care trucks, they are really only concerned with the semi trucks, but then again, this is KY and Im sure they do stop LCOs in other states. IT is fairly common to see goofy people with tiny little compact trucks trying to haul things they should not, like the guy using an S-10 to haul a 16ft tandem trailer with 4-5 quads on it, or the guy I saw last week that was actually towing a big backhoe on a gooseneck trailer with a 3/4 ton truck!!! I have no clue how he was doing it, but I bet it took him forever to stop that thing, if he could at all?!! I also bet his brakes were smoking on that truck!! They do not even stop guys like this here in KY!! Anything goes here!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
Yes, it is stupid. Can't a trailer be registered at a lower gvwr than the axle ratings?
Yes.....................
Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
Depends on who you ask. A "compliance enforcement" guy told us at my dealers open house, that the DOT inspectors don't care what the tag on the trailer frame says, that they just count lugnuts.

The people at the trailer place told me that the DOT guys USUALLY don't have a clue and call them all the time asking what weight a "X" lug axle is rated for, lol. and that they uually jsut go by what's stamped on the trailer frame.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anything goes here too. Funny trailer sighting here. I've seen a roofing company here that must be to cheap to have the shingles delievered to the site like MOST do so they haul their own. They have a trailer that is just as JUNK as you can possibly imigine. rusted pipe frame, really no sort of "structure" to it and 2 ancient trailer house axles, pulled by a VAN. I saw it one day with SIX pallets of shingels on it going down the road. The axles were so bent all 4 wheels were angled out at the bottom several inches past the tops. The whole thing was sway backed and the tounge was almost hitting the pavement and the front of the van was in the sky. But they were on a mission. What's a pallet of shingles, 3K lbs? I think it is... Insanity. But those kinds of people never get cought. It's the people that actually TRY to do things by the book that get stopped and fined for some dumb crap like not putting 2 straps on everything on the trailer to drive it 4 blocks to the next stop.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is why I'm glad I live in Texas. I pull around a 20' landscape trailer with 5200lb axles and have never had any problems. I would recommend getting the larger axles.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
This is why I'm glad I live in Texas. I pull around a 20' landscape trailer with 5200lb axles and have never had any problems. I would recommend getting the larger axles.
Same here, and no snow to shovel.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
What size are your axles? Tandem only. I'm looking at 20' models and sooo many come standard with 3,500 lb axles. Isn't that silly? A good strong built trailer that size is going to weigh around 3K empty alone, then when you add 3 zero turn mowers, in my case a 61" grasshopper and two Walkers, you are pushing those little axles to the limit. Some trailer places think I'm dumb for waning larger 5,200lb axles and others say it's really smart and something that to many overlook. I just saw another post in the pics forum of a guys brand new 20' enclosed, with 3500lb axles... why???? Just to save a couple hundred bucks up front... and 2 or 3 years down the road when they are tweaked and the brakes have been replaced twice you end up replacing both axles completely. I've been down that road, and not making that mistake again.

But, heres the kicker... The DOT makes it rough on people that want a "proper" trailer to haul their load. Once you get a heavier axled trailer, and pulling it with a 1 ton truck, you are likely over your max GVW and now you need a CDL to drive your damn pickup and lawn trailer on the road. So guys have to buy trailers with undersized axles and max them out to be legal... 7K total weight on a 7K trailer axles is ok legally, but not right mechinacally. 7K on a 10K trailer is smart and safer, but illegal to tow with certian trucks without a CDL. It dosn't pay to be safe?

Thoughts?
Thats all I run on my 20'. I'm carrying about the same weight as you. I have 2 60" Lazers, 1 66" Super Z, and a 21"Honda and stringtrimmers. The difference for me is I live in a town of 20,000 and I rarely have to get into a hurry and drive in bad traffic slamming on brakes, there is no rough driving as long as I'm driving. The trailer works great for me, but I could see why some would want the heavier axles. I bought this trailer used so it had a few dings but I sure like the room.
Attached Images

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Really doesn't make any sense. Just like here in Illinois, most trailers on lots don't have electric brakes or if they do its only on one axle. Illinois law says both axles must have brakes and brake away switch installed and working too. Illinois DOT is going to be cracking down on all commercial companies this year and it includes lawn and landscape guys. They started checking lawn guys here last fall, I know a couple that got busted for overweight. States need money and I bet Illinois will not be the only ones writing tickets.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment