Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

maybe trading skid's ?? Yes or no and what to get?

My bobcat dealer calls today wondering if I would be willing to trade my S205. Maybe.......... well he has someone interested in a low hour machine and would like to look at the machine tomorrow. He doesn't have anything on his lot under 2000 hours and 1/2 of them are track machines.

He tells me the new M series is coming out with a machine similar to mine this summer. But to get a great deal bobcat (not himself) must have a lot of inventory of the old series left and wanting to get rid off. He told me right out that they would be $4-5 K less for this machine and let the new M series work out the bugs for a year or two and then trade in again say about in 2-3 years.

No dollar amount has been discussed but is it worth the look at the M or get another S205.

I will stick with bobcat as they are in town and so is NH but I don't like that machine so were sticking with BC.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a quote from Bobcat for a 2008 S205....35k out the door with bucket. No enclosure, no joysticks, nothing fancy the way I like it. I thought that was high for an 08, but maybe I'm wrong.
I say keep the old rig until the economy mellows out (for real).
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
My bobcat dealer calls today wondering if I would be willing to trade my S205. Maybe.......... well he has someone interested in a low hour machine and would like to look at the machine tomorrow. He doesn't have anything on his lot under 2000 hours and 1/2 of them are track machines.

He tells me the new M series is coming out with a machine similar to mine this summer. But to get a great deal bobcat (not himself) must have a lot of inventory of the old series left and wanting to get rid off. He told me right out that they would be $4-5 K less for this machine and let the new M series work out the bugs for a year or two and then trade in again say about in 2-3 years.

No dollar amount has been discussed but is it worth the look at the M or get another S205.

I will stick with bobcat as they are in town and so is NH but I don't like that machine so were sticking with BC.

I demoed the s630 it will beat the balls off the s205 but its also a bigger machine then the 205. I own 2 s205 machine a g series and a k series its a really nice machine. Bobcat is giving incredible rebates on old inventory you can probably save some big money. I cant see there being that many bugs to be work out on the m series. I'm looking to trade in my g series 205 on the new m series.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess if this goes down - I am better getting a new M and if so when are the smaller machines coming out? The 205 fits us great for the work I do with the skid - sure some times need more but there are other times when I need less - but either way. OR save some money and go with inventory on hand to get a better deal?

What will that cost me in the end though if I get the old series and 2-3 years down the road I trade for the M? Will it caught up to me?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
I guess if this goes down - I am better getting a new M and if so when are the smaller machines coming out? The 205 fits us great for the work I do with the skid - sure some times need more but there are other times when I need less - but either way. OR save some money and go with inventory on hand to get a better deal?

What will that cost me in the end though if I get the old series and 2-3 years down the road I trade for the M? Will it caught up to me?
2-3 years down the road who the hell knows what will be out. why dont you demo the s630? I was told the small frame m series machines will be out this year.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you can get good money for yours and a real good deal on a new one. Tough call on which series, I always want the new one as long as it is an improvement.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
As long as you can get good money for yours and a real good deal on a new one. Tough call on which series, I always want the new one as long as it is an improvement.
Unless there is some type of productivity improvement between the machine you have and a newer one, I don't know what reason there would be to trade for what you already have. Other than you will start over on payments. If the M will make you more money than I would get it. There will likely be bugs, there always are. Would there be any gamebreaker type problems? I doubt that. Bobcat needs to get this series right, they cant afford to muff this one. I am sure a lot of time and money has been spent ensuring a smooth intro with these machines.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bobcat definitely got the m series right.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsops View Post

Its way to early to call that. They have not sold any to speak of and they have not even rolled all the machines out yet. It takes some hours and a lot of sold machines to find out where the issues are. CAT had/has issues with its electronics since inception, Deere had issues with its electronics on the E/H, and I am sure they will have some issues issues with the D's. Its just the way it works.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsops View Post
I was shown a few issues with the machine but they are all easily fixed. I liked the walk around. Didn't get to operate it but I really liked the setup and layout of just about everything. Not sure how I felt about the couplers being built into the lift arms but I imagine the local dealers will make a protection package for the guys who work with trees or demo.

The medium frame machines are heavy and have a short wheelbase like the old 863 did. I tore up less ground and seemed to get stuck less when I had an 863.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing