Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper Feedback/Info

Please provide your feedback (good or bad) regarding Dixie Choppers. I'm looking at a few riders with the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle being one of them. Theres not much about them on here so I thought I'd start a Dixie Chopper Thread to get it going. Tell me the good, the bad, any comparisons from those that have had one and another brand would be great. My main options would be Exmark, Scag, Snapper Pro along with the Dixie Chopper. I heard today that the Dixie Chopper is heavier than the others. Is that good or bad? Any info would be greatly appreciated guys.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I like Dixies and have owned a few. The company has been going through some tough times in the last few years and had kind of lost their way, offering a lot of machines and options, that have not been too well thought out. Their reputation has suffered and they have lost a lot of dealers.
I would stick to their "classic" models and not buy a Silver Eagle. Just a couple of years ago, they claimed the Silver Eagle was a homeowner machine. Now, they are calling it a commercial machine. It is not a heavy duty commercial machine, but MIGHT be an entry level commercial machine.
I would also NOT get the Generac engine.
If you can find a Classic model with a Kohler engine, you will have a good, solid, long lasting machine.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i had one a few years back and it seemed to be a great mower. i did not like the way the deck suspension was, i prefer the set-up of say an exmark where you can use the deck lift pedal to "ride" over high spots and suck to prevent scalping. other than that was a great machine and i had wonderful service out of it.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had great luck with the "Classic" style deck. It doesn't care for crabgrass much but then I've never seen a mower deck that did. The classic style deck can also be modified to suit your needs. There are a couple of things you can do with factory approval. The discharge side of the deck can be opened up a bit. They have a nose cone baffle that can be installed at the front of the deck. You can also raise and lower the leading edge of the deck about an inch. They also have a ton of blade options.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Silver Eagle 2700-60D, and overall, I very pleased with it. Admitedly, I'm not using it commercially, but I firmly believe it to be of entry level commercial quality: true hydro drive, not transaxle; heavy gauge construction; commercial quality, high hp engines; good cutting/striping and adequate discharging deck; respectable cutting mph...

Having said that, I have decided after 3 seasons with it, that if I were using commercially, I'd definately want larger fuel tanks (only holds 6 now), and maybe a suspension seat. At the time I bought it, the Classic was only an additional $700 (also came with an electric deck lift as a promotion), I think, but I was leaning toward a narrower framed machine for increased trimming capability. Yeah, I know, hindsight is 20/20.

Don't know why there's so much negativity toward the Generac engines, although their frequently seems to be just as much toward DC too. Mine's been the best engine I've had on a mower; lots of power with more torque than it knows what to do with. Just for giggles, I installed double blades on mine, and have noticed no discernable power loss, except in really tall (8" or taller) grass. I've had Kohler, Briggs, and Kawi on units in the past, and I can unequivocally say they’d be no match.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Is there even any dixie chopper dealers around here?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes. In Walton. Where are you located?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I am in florence, but I used to live in Independence a few years ago. Are you just starting up? Now that you mention walton, I think I have seen that place that sells dixie now, Do they sell mainly huge trailers?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes thats them. I believe its called Delightful Days or something like that. I started last year part time with only 7-8 accounts. I've already rec'd more accts and some bigger ones at that so I'm looking to sell one of my Snapper Pro W/B to buy a rider. You need a newer walk behind mower?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I just bought a new ferris WB last year, all my mowers are in great shape! I have been in this for about 8 years now, I have been full time for the most part since 2004. I really hope we start pretty soon. Last year I started in the third week in march. Are most of your accounts in Taylor Mill and independence? The only mowing I do around there is in Forest Run subdivision by the Kroger in Independence. the majority of mine are in boone county and erlanger. It makes for a pretty tight route.

Tags
exmark , lawncare , mower , scag , trailer