Register free!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seed watch

Dropped a ton of seed on my father's property right before all the snow came before Christmas. Top dressed with good soil in the bare spots, now anxiously waiting to see when the stuff will come up.

Conditions were ideal over the last 2.5 months with about 2 feet snowpack that just finally melted about a week ago. Temps now consistently in the 50's and nearing 60 for the week. More rain this weekend to help out.

Soil temps hovering around 43 degrees.

Hoping by the end of the week I might start to see a little sumthin...
Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
Dropped a ton of seed on my father's property right before all the snow came before Christmas. Top dressed with good soil in the bare spots, now anxiously waiting to see when the stuff will come up.

Conditions were ideal over the last 2.5 months with about 2 feet snowpack that just finally melted about a week ago. Temps now consistently in the 50's and nearing 60 for the week. More rain this weekend to help out.

Soil temps hovering around 43 degrees.

Hoping by the end of the week I might start to see a little sumthin...

You wont see anything for a while...Soil temp is still to cool...
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ LAWN View Post
You wont see anything for a while...Soil temp is still to cool...
I am hoping by the end of the week it gets to the high 40's, supposed to be 60 all week.

Cool season grasses can germinate as low as 45, but usually closer to 50.

The house is on the market and it needs to come in soon!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of seed? Bluegrass is slow. Fescue slightly faster. Rye is faster in germination and emergence. TJ is right. Don't expect to see any action until nearby lawns green up. You could take a small sample of seeded soil and put it in a coffee mug and move it inside to a warm place--no need for sunlight--until it comes up. You will find out if germination is still adequate. Actually I spotted some new seed coming up in my neighborhood, it was some kind of weed in sidewalk cracks.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
What kind of seed? Bluegrass is slow. Fescue slightly faster. Rye is faster in germination and emergence. TJ is right. Don't expect to see any action until nearby lawns green up. You could take a small sample of seeded soil and put it in a coffee mug and move it inside to a warm place--no need for sunlight--until it comes up. You will find out if germination is still adequate. Actually I spotted some new seed coming up in my neighborhood, it was some kind of weed in sidewalk cracks.
It is fescue, TT in the sunnier areas and fine in the shade.

The thing is lawns are starting to green up ( the good ones) already. Mine for example is probably 40% green and starting to color up every day now.

We have been deluged with moisture and that is helping, raining right now and has been for 3 days.

Some of my other lawns are almost completely green, just are not really growing yet.