Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet Commercial VS Scag Zero Turn

Trying to decide between either a Cub Cadet Tank M series or regular Tank, and a Scag zero turn. I have about 5 acres to cut with about 1 acre that is on a slope. I've narrowed it down to these three mowers due to having a Cub Cadet Zero Turn Tractor to trade in (Just too slow!). What advice do you have for me? I'm looking at either the 60 or 72 inch Cub or a 61 or 72 inch Scag. I'm open to suggestions of other brands but since I have a trade it will be easier for me to work with the same dealer. Thanks in advance for all opinions and help!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a very easy question for me to answer. Get the Scag. Scag is one of the most popular mowers for landscapers for a reason. They are dependable,cut all types of grass well, and simply built stronger than any other brand. The Cub Cadet tank is made by MTD.This company makes several brands of low price residential mowers, that is their expertise. If you're cutting 5 acres a Scag mower will last a long time with proper maintainence. Get a Scag, you won't regret it!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Scag walk behind and a Lesco Z2 60" zero turn. Not really a comparison, just wanted to let you know I use both brands and they are both good stuff.
The Scag is an obvious choice for landscapers but the Lesco (same as CC)
gets a bad rap, I like mine and use it every day.
You'll probably pay more for the Scag.
btw-I also have 3 Bob-Cats, excellent mowers.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

get the scag. i know of haters of CC but ive never herd of any scag haters. you should be able to find a good used scag low hours. there out there. look on craigslist. but the turf tiger is the best zero turn mower on the market IMO
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm sure scag is a great mower, but I have been using cub m 60s for 5 years now and they are built as well as in other brands they will last a home owner a life time if the maintenance is done. Also you can buy a new m60 tank for about $3000.00 dollars less than scag 61 my opinion with cub m60 you get more for the money. P.S if you go with the m60 make sure you get it with a 31 horse Kawasaki plenty of power!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you shopping in Jacksboro? At Quality.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Have talked to Quality in Jacksboro, but bought my previous Cub from Southeast Tractor in London, KY, so I thought they might give me more on my trade. Lower taxes in KY, and dealer is willing to pickup my mower for any repairs, warranty or non warranty and I don't have a trailer to haul it. Any experience with Quality in Jacksboro?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a good dealer, then go with your instinct. With that said though, I would definately choose Scag over Cub Cadet.
'09 Hustler Super Z 60" 31 hp Kawasaki, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Redmax HBZ 2601 blower, '98 Massey Ferguson 231 utility tractor, 5' Bush Hog 285 rotary cutter, 5.5' King Kutter box blade, 6.5' United disc harrow, United middle buster, Dearborn single row cultivator, single row HD row hippers, Bark Buster pto log splitter, log skidding "tongs", 6' Fred Cain landscape rake, LMC boom pole, drawbar, '09 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 FPE, '04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Just thought of another question! Would the 72 inch be overkill for my situation. The cub dealer today told me that he sales 10 to 1. 60 inch over 72 inch. Would the Turf Tiger be what is comparable to the M60 Cub series?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

72" mowers cost a lot more than 60". Yes, it is overkill most of the time.
Actually, a 52-54 would be better for me because it get's in a lot more places. That's why I have my WB.
You'd be surprised how much a 60 will get done.
One more thing, a 60 probably would be easier to sell in the future. Not to say the 72 wouldn't sell but there would be more people interested in a 60.
Most landscapers that own 72"s already have their bases covered with 60"s and just need a wider mower, usually for some extraordinary big open areas.
If you get a 72, get the biggest engine available. BTW-My 60 has a 25 Kawasaki and it performs great.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.

Tags
cub cadet , scag , zero turn