Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

spindle(blade) bolts

a while back someone asked if fluid film works on blade bolts. i've sprayed a lil bit of ff on my bolts and into the spindle shafts on my mower every time i change the blades. took these pics on saturday. my machine has 58 hours of use on it. it sits outside on the trailer all year round in my wonderfully moisture filled climate. i've never used anti-sieze so i can't say which is better. all i can say is ff works for me, my threads look brand new every time i take the bolts off and there's no mess like is left behind with anti-seize
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice thread...have to do that to mine now! Never even thought of that.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm ashamed of you bill! haha j/k dude the hours don't add up on my machine fast at all but imma keep this thread going every idk 10 hours or so. we'll see what i feel like at the time
Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok so it's been 12 weeks on the calendar and 7 hours on the mowers hour meter since the last application of ff to the spindle bolts. we've hit that time of the year up here where the lawns simply do not grow and the machine has been doing pretty much nothing but sitting on the damp concrete of my patio. changed the blades sat mornin only to find the bolts came out with no problem and are still wet with ff just as i knew would be the case also gave them a very slight new coating before putting them back on
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that's a solid testimonial with pics! Thanks for taking the time to share!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anti-seize is a better product for bolt threads. FF has its place, but threads are not one of them. Anti-Seize's properties allow it to still lubricate even if the grease is gone (heat), the silver color of the product is graphite which is a dry lubricant.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

as we are all aware just because it is not the best product for an application does not stop people from using it. if that was the case wd40 would say starting fluid on it, as thats about what it is good for.

I have tested it and it does work, not quite as well as anti-sieze but it does work. I have thought of using it myself as I have a competitor that tells everyone the anti-sieze is a sign of me having overtightened their blade bolts.

and yes I know the guy that tells customers that is a moron and not qualified to change the oil in a lawnmower let alone work on it but still some people believe him, so I do have to look into an alternative for anti-sieze, and honestly the bolt and spindle shaft do look better with fluid film on them, and it is 1 less can I need to have in my toolbox.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh also I tested it on a spindle that was going bad, the guy was rough on it and I knew the spindle was about to need replacing so I had nothing to loose. the guy is also hard on things so I figured it was a great test subject(he also said I could test it) it worked fine, he even bent the blade and the bolt came out without any problems, as long as you sharpen your blades regular you will have not problems with using fluid film on your bolts.

one side effect is they look like new when you pull them out, thats what I like nobody can say I am tearing up a spindle....
Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They do make anti-sieze in gold color if I recall. If all you want to do is lubricate bolts FF will work fine, but if you want to make sure that the bolts never become part of the part they are holding together there is no better product than anti-sieze.

As far as looking like the parts are over tightened all a customer has to do is feel the grease.

Not trying to be an ass, but your testing is based on what? That the bolts came out? How about testing fluid film on some common steel exhaust manifold bolts and get back to me. Try fluid film on fertilizer spreader bolts and axles and let me know if they come out next season.

No doubt FF is great stuff, but for bolts anti-sieze is best, its both a wet and dry lubricant which means even if the grease is burned away the graphite still remains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Sponsor

Hello All,

Just a note, if you find that you are having to replace spindles, its due to an out-of-balance condition in the lawn mower blades. Simply sharpening regularly does not correct or maintain balance. Balancing in conjunction with sharpening is required for proper lawn mower blade maintenance. Generally speaking spindles should almost never need replacement if the blades have been correctly maintained.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp