Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Opening a new branch in ft. Meyers, florida

I am opening a new branch of my company in ft. Meyers fl. I need to find some one to please talk with me about southern fl. Im based out
of west virginia...big difference in geographic zones..so i could use some pointers..please
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing you should do, is learn how to spell Fort Myers. Other than that, fire away with your questions.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have contacts, lawyers, real estate agents so ill be legal when i get there. I am gonna start small. Im bringing one 23 ft inclosed trailer, 1 johndeere 997 72 inch cut z, 2 john deere 7h19 54 inch walk behinds..3 stihl 130 and 3 bp600 back packs. Im gonna start with only mowing in mind to start, and grow as i learn the zone as for landscaping..if you can through me any thing about that area
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it very hard to find help. Do you mow all winter? Is lawn maint usually once every seven days? I have heard pestacides is a must have service..is this true and if so what is the legalities of it. The equipment i stated..do you think will be good for down there?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you seem very unprepared at best to try this, just saying.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I do just lawn service, no pesticides no larger than 15' tree trimmin no planting. Licensed & insured is a must there running wild down here giving out citations for every little thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Grass man, thanks for you in put. Ive been in this bizz for a while and do very well in wv. I feel i am prepared. Ill hv all legal lisc and permits and ins before i arrive. I have plenty of equip. I will be totally legal and set run run. The reason i posted on here is to get some positive pointers so i can be a lil more prepared for the area. I figured being legal and legit would bring more professionals to talk to me about the area...lol but maybe im wrong. I have help several people get started in this area. Ive helped people in louisville,ky columbus, oh charleston, wv, ...i just was trying to get some feed back bout the area...thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawntechniques09 View Post
The reason i posted on here is to get some positive pointers so i can be a lil more prepared for the area. I figured being legal and legit would bring more professionals to talk to me about the area...lol but maybe im wrong.
You got a whole lot of very good advice. You should be very well prepared for what to expect in the area. I'm not sure what you were expecting us to say. That it would be a cakewalk and you should expect to be able to take over the market? South Florida is tough. There's a million Cubans down there and they're all looking for work.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Well grass man you say im very un prepared.. I hv a personal friend that is a successful real estate lawyer and owns her own real estate company rite there in ft myers. I allready have my legallities in order, i have my insurance, and a crew all ready with equip. And i have allready searched and studied the area. Now im just trying to talk to some other pros about the area.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Most companies that I know charge by the month. Regular weekly mowing in the summer months and if the grass(well the patch of weeds that actually grow down there) doesnt need to be cut they just drive on by and do not cut. Pricing out of the Tampa area for a normal .2 acre would be about 65 a month. So in the winter months is when you make up some of the money. Hope this helps