Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Removed ~10 shrubs, rooty soil, what's the next step?

I had about 10 ~8' tall shrubs going across my front yard that I hated. Hooked up my truck and yanked them all out. I then went around grabbing every root that I could find and pulling it out. However, there is still a pretty large patchwork of smaller roots in the soil (er, or sand), and also it appears a big part of the top portion of soil is held together with what I would call mini-roots, just running everywhere.

It's now bare from the curb to about 8-10' back into the yard. I plan on putting a ~4' tall fence there, mulch each side of it out to a couple feet, then the rest grass. Then I will be planting some SMALL bushes/shrubs, no larger than 3' tall or so. Also, some flowers as well.

I also pulled out a ~15' tall pine tree in the middle of the front yard, where the soil is now similar.

I've already bought 3.5 tons of topsoil so far to fill in the holes and low spots and have spread that.

My question is the soil now with all the roots. Can I just leave it as it is, and dig holes as I need them for fencing/shrubs/flowers? Or, is it in my best interest to go ahead and get a tiller and break it all up so that it's no longer clumped up?

Or, are there other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm at work right now, the other pics are blocked on my other site.

All the old stumps.

The entire area along the roadway there:

One of the smaller shrub stumps.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Run a tiller at 1/2 throttle through the area keeping in mind of there is any kind of utility or gas lines present. Look out for buried telephone or cable drops buried as well. Take out as much root masses as possible for the topsoil will cover them up but you will find it harder to plant in them or dig holes for posts. Till down 12 inches for planting and then incorporate your topsoil. Till it in with compost material if it is in your area for purchase. Create the foundation for the grass, shrubs, annuals and perennials first. Set the posts for the fence, set the runners and then the slats. Install the grass last.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

No gas, hopefully no utility. It wouldn't hurt to call and get marked before I start though. I do have buried cable TV, already found that cable.

Till down 12"? Wow, that would take a pretty heavy-duty tiller I take it.

I called the local rental place, $22/2 hours or $60/day. Sound reasonable?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
No gas, hopefully no utility. It wouldn't hurt to call and get marked before I start though. I do have buried cable TV, already found that cable.

Till down 12"? Wow, that would take a pretty heavy-duty tiller I take it.

I called the local rental place, $22/2 hours or $60/day. Sound reasonable?
That sounds reasonable. Even a small Mantis tiller would be okay for that situation. I hate the out-front tillers as they really beat you up. If you have the time and dedication, rent a mantis and take your time. If you're in a hurry, rent an out-front tiller, but be careful if you've never used one.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I rented a nice rear tine tiller for 40 bucks at home depot.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

absolutely!!! use a big rear tine tiller.