Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

21 Inch Commercial Push

Hi All, I'm in need of a good quality 21" push mower.

I've been in the biz for 3 years, I started my own company this Spring. I currently have a 6.5HP 21" Toro Super Recycler GTS that gets daily use on all 15 of my contracts and performs pretty well. (We bag here in Winnipeg in the spring because of the insane amount of growth)

I'd like to know your opinions on a couple different 21's.

I need something that will bag really well, and will mulch decently.

Being from Winnipeg I know that there are almost always better prices if I drive across the border to Grand Forks or Fargo, so I wouldn't object to picking up a new 21 there.

I've used Ariens LM21's in the past and found them to work really well with great bagging performance. (I know these aren't commercial)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Anders Frederiksen
Green Shoes Lawn Care
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Honda, Toro, Snapper. Buy commercial, the extra $$ and weight is worth it. All three brands mow well. Snapper bags great, doesn't mulch as well, and is priced about $100 less on average. Honda and Toro are almost on par with bagging and mulch great. Snapper has 6 speeds, Toro has 3, Honda is hydrostatic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, the Honda HRC series looks really nice, and the Toro Commercials do too. I've used snapper commercials in the past and the LM21's outbagged it on every property. The snapper probably wasn't in great shape. Previous employer was a bit unorganized!

The price for the Honda HRC216K3PDA (no self propel) onlne is $749.00

Can't find a decent price (or even the correct model) at any of the dealers in my area. Is a trip to Grand Forks or Fargo worth it?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're full time, get a self propelled. My HRC push will wear you out on hills or using it all day. It cuts very nice and is significantly quieter than the Toro 2 stroke or Snapper hi vac.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
My HRC push will wear you out on hills or using it all day.Posted via Mobile Device

The HRC216K3PDA is 100lbs. Add bag and clippings and you're in for some hard days. I have one too, plus a Snapper commercial and added an Exmark Commercial 21 this week. If you want a bagger that will mulch also you won't find a better or more versatile machine than a Snapper Hi-vac, plus it will side discharge if you ever get in some real thick stuff. Add in that Snappers seldom break but if/when they do parts are easy to find.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

do you want self perpelled or push if push is ok theres a new toro commercial and honda hrc for 599 free shipping no tax on ebay
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

stay away from the heavy toro at least the one we have is the 124lbs it becomes a workout by the end of the day
Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

just bought the snapper hi-vac with the kawa engine this year and i absolutly love it. Paid about $925 after all is said and done. Tested it out the first week we had it and cut some fescue that was about 6" down to 3.5 just after a rain that night and had no problems. Didnt clog and filled the bag to the top every time. I have used the toros before and i have had many problems trying to accomplish the same thing with them. They always seemed to clog with the wet grass when the bag was only about 1/3 of the way full. Personally i would never get anything else in the 21" besides the hi-vac snapper.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albhb3 View Post
stay away from the heavy toro at least the one we have is the 124lbs it becomes a workout by the end of the day
Actually the Toro "Commercial 21" is the lightest commercial mower I have seen. It is only 90lbs. It only has the Honda GSV190 engine.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Member

How does the Snapper mulch?

Tags
ariens , commercial-grade mower , equipment , mower advice , push mower