Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2000, 03:00 AM
haulinbass

i am having trouble with my front end on my 89 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. it makes clunking noises when i turn and sometimes when stopping. seems to be worse when i have my camper on. i have replaced the ball joints within the last couple of years. a buddy of mine thought it might be the cab mounts? any answers thanks......haulinbass<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 05:12 PM

Check the pitman arm. These trucks had a habit of eating the swivel where the pitman arm attaches to the tie rod. Can make a noise like you describe
Old 03-18-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If pitman arm checks out OK,check for ripped boots on axle shafts,it sounds like you have a bad half shaft.Does it get worse in 4WD?Even if boots are Ok,the shafts can be worn out,and the camper will make the front end go up,increasing the angle on them,making them noisier than normal.If one is bad,get a reman shaft assy,its cheaper and easier and warranty is for life on most.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-19-2000, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I would still do a complete front suspension inspection. Even if the ball joints are new they can be inspected, donít forget to unload the front suspension with a floor jack. Check the shock mounts and the brake pads. Also the sway bar bushing. You might get the local repair garage to inspect the front end for you if you donít find the problem.<br>Good Luck. Troy<br>