Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2000, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 90' 3/4 ton 4x4. The problem is i don't know a lot about it. I've been trying to find some site where i can find specs on it. Things like the rear diff. ( i think its a 4/1/1 ) I also was wondering about the effects of bigger tires and rims. some people have told me that bigger mudders will screw up the 4 wheel drive. Does anybody know what effects putting bigger tires on my kind of truck would trigger? Are there any ways around these if they are bad? i would really appreciate the help.
Old 03-14-2000, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't know much about it, however contact the dealer and give them your VIN, with that they can tell you all the specs of your truck specifically. That is if it hasn't been modified any. The VIN will refer to all stocked equipment.<br>As for the tires ask a service tech. I wouldn't think anything would change other than gas mileage and throwing the speedometer out of wack!!!<p>Have fun,<br>Adam
Old 03-14-2000, 11:18 AM
4LOW

larger tires can throw the vehicle speed<br>sensor off, there are aftermarket vssb's<br>that can cure this, i have'nt had trouble<br>running a 33&quot; tire.
Old 03-14-2000, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Look in the glovebox,if you can still read the label,there is a camper loading label on left and the vehicle build data is on the right,that is the one you want.Go thru the letters,find the G's.A 3.42 ratio will be a GU6,a 3.73 is a GT4,and a 4.10 is a GT5.While your in the G's,look for a G80 which is the locking differential,a great feature for plowing.I remember all the codes and options from my time with a GM dealership,if you want to know more,I can tell you everything it has from that sticker,as long as no one swapped it with one from a wrecking yard.LOL<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-15-2000, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks a bunch for your help, dudes<br>I think i will still talk to the dealer, but that sticker (which was a little scratched up) did say GT5 and it had the G80 code. My friend was telling me i might have to get the transmission reset if I got the bigger tires though. What truck do you have 4low?
Old 03-15-2000, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats!You have the best possible gearing for wheeling and a locker too.Every time someone has one and complains about low power,I go to the sticker and almost always they have 3.42 or 3.73 and tall tires.Your truck must jump off the line and be quick(for a 350).You didnt mention,do you have the LD(6lug) 3/4 or the 8600GVWR 8 lug HD chassis.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-16-2000, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds excellent. Yeah it is pretty quick even though I haven't made any improvements. What is a locker by the way. Sorry, I know pretty much nothing about automotive terminology. It does have an 8 lug set up, too. What were you saying earlier about the snowplow?
Old 03-17-2000, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

You should be able to go with a larger mudder depending on how much bigger you want.<br>The mudders will be louder and may track with changing road conditions,also they will wear a lot Quicker . The will look better for sure but there is a down side On my trucks I see the downsides I run 44s on one 35s on noe and 33s on my plow truck<br>good luck